Hello from Connecticut, USA

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

shreeswifty
Established Member

Hello from Connecticut, USA

Post by shreeswifty »

Hello Linux Musicians!

I am glad to find this forum after so many years of macintosh,i chose to return to linux audio design and development after a recent success and jobs with Critter and Guitari [makers of Organelle -- a Pure Data box running arch linux 32 bit Atom Neon Processor] and Pisound a high end hat for raspberry pi. I develop original content for them in Pure Data, python. SuperCollider and a variety of effects [DSP/Faust & LADSPA]

I dove back into linux 64 bit on an extra machine with an SSD & 32GB of RAM, a Berenger FCA610 Firewire and to get it running properly with VCV rack i waspointed at kxstudios to solve my Alsa/pulse/Jack plugin/bridge issue which after a small donation and exploration led me here. :x

A little about me. I learned linux [irix really on an SGI 02 in 1995/6 for pure data & Cecilia and i was hooked. From there i went the Redhat, Fedora -->Debian route and have recently been using Ubuntu for my development but raspberry pi [Debian Stretch] and Arch as well.

I am very comfortable in a linux environment and at one point with the help of Dave Phillips had almost all the software on the famous linux-sound page working. I even had jMax working at one point before i got a fancy mac and started learning Max-Msp.

I teach Interactive Media, Projection Design and Audio Design for games and applications @ the University of Connecticut, Stamford Campus and i am glad to be here!

https://shreeswifty.github.io/
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Hello from Connecticut, USA

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi Shreeswifty! I'm glad to see somebody in academia using Linux for audio production. Last year I worked on a progressive rock piece with a guitarist on this forum that I later found out teaches college math. I'm curious if you have found any way to let your students experience producing audio on Linux?