!Noob questions from a noob! all input is greatly appreciated

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gillv88
Established Member

!Noob questions from a noob! all input is greatly appreciated

Post by Gillv88 »

I've been using lmms on windows 8.1 for beat production, for about a year (Third Eye Productions). Since I was under a rock for the last few years :( i had no idea about what I now face, the BSOD... Long story short I'm ready to throw windows in the trash and make the switch only I have absolutely no idea what Linux distro is optimal for audio production!! :?: Please help! Thanks In Advance!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: !Noob questions from a noob! all input is greatly appreciated

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi. If you're completely new to Linux there is a lot to learn, and honestly it can be really frustrating at times when you still have the Windows frame of mind, because many things are very different.

With that said, once you "grok" Linux, it's very powerful and liberating. Many people here on this forum are available to help you on your way.

As far as Linux distros, you'll likely have the best immediate results from KXStudio, AVLinux, or Ubuntu Studio. These three have some similar goals, but also have many differences, so learn a little about each one and then take the plunge. If you just want to get started right away and you're primarily doing audio (not video or graphic design or other creative works), I can suggest that KXStudio might be a good choice.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Depends a bit on if you want to use your Linux PC for audio production only or for a lot of other things. If I were you I'd install Ubuntu or Mint. Then use the KXStudio repository (do you yet know what that is?) for your music software. LMMS on Linux does not come standard w/ Windows VST support via Vestige. I use the KSStudio version for that.

Good luck! :)
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

It is worth noting that you can boot most Linux Distros from a pendrive and try without installing
Gillv88
Established Member

Post by Gillv88 »

The computer is only going to be used for audio production although there is a nice graphics card video card I've sort of turned it in to strictly in my work computer I thought about buying barebones and only installing the most badass audio card that I could but I think back to why I already spent $1,500 on the computer I did spend 6 months learning lmms but hey fuck it if I have to learn another program I'm not going to let that stop me thank you very much for your guys input I really do appreciate it I think everybody is in agreeance that I should install Ubuntu? LOL!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Gillv88 wrote:I think everybody is in agreeance that I should install Ubuntu? LOL!
Not me, I would go for Kde Neon but depends what you want. Most differences between distros are superficial to a certain extent.
assink
Established Member

Post by assink »

sysrqer wrote:
Gillv88 wrote:I think everybody is in agreeance that I should install Ubuntu? LOL!
Not me, I would go for Kde Neon but depends what you want. Most differences between distros are superficial to a certain extent.
Me neither, because I think Ubuntu is not so cool...
look at this: https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

I would go for mint actually if i still where a linux newby (the debian version) :)
https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
Gillv88
Established Member

Post by Gillv88 »

The computer is a HP dv6 i5 with "bose sound" in my opinion I think the Bose sound thing was just enough cell because it's not really worth the fuck and I have it disabled. Anyways the PC was bought in 2013 and sat on the Shelf in the room while I dealt with my brain tumor and everything else. other than that yes it took me about 6 months to learn lmms I clicked around with a mouse until I sold enough Beats to buy a midi keyboard. And then I did some more roughing it until I could buy an interface and studio monitors. I didn't have the pleasure of a business loan so I'm truly getting it out of the mud. :mrgreen:
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hi Gillv88,

Welcome to Linux.

I agree with assink that Mint might be a good place to start. Especially if you're fresh from Windows. But if you're serious about adventures in audio, I'd also recommend to have a good look at the Linux sound architecture and how its different components relate and interact with each other, in order to decide what'll probably work for you. Totally different from the Windows way, I assure you!

I'm saying this, since I'm currently overhauling an until shortly totally dysfunctional incarnation of my home studio. And since I'm not exactly an IT engineer myself, I asked a friend infinitely more Linux-savvy for help me with that: his ongoing support invaluable. And some real understanding of how Linux audio works is now taking shape.

We all have to start somewhere, don't we?

Veerstryngh Thynner