Hi All

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MrDowntempo
Established Member

Hi All

Post by MrDowntempo »

Great Idea for a community! I'm a musician and I use linux. I don't however do the two at the same time. I've been using linux for maybe half a decade, and I've been playing piano for much longer. Back in the day I played with trakers on windows. It's been a while since I did any computer music work. I'd like to turn this around. I've also gotten some recording equipment lately (m-audio 1814) that isn't linux friendly. I had been using it with audacity under windows but now I am 100% windows free and would prefer to stay that way. 8)

I'll be around.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Hey what's up? I'm Matt. I use Audacity too. And LADSPA puggins. I just started recording on Linux. I've always used N-Track 24-bit on XP to record. I've recorded in other software but on my personal setup that what I had in the past. But Audacity isn't even close to as full featured as stuff for windows and mac but it works and I'm getting used to it now.

Ardour is another good option aswell. But I couldn't find it in my distros repos and didn't feel like gathering dependancies.

cheers, or later,

Matt

-Matt :D

mike_blackstock
Established Member

Post by mike_blackstock »

[quote="MattKingUSA"]Hey what's up? I'm Matt. I use Audacity too. And LADSPA puggins. I
"

I could never get Audacity up and running on my Linux box but now that I see some people here I'll give it another try. Usual story - myriad problems with dependencies.

On a slightly different subject, I just discovered a very useful distro called 'Damn Small Linux" [DSL] which I used to rescue some stuff from a defunct Windows machine; it's great cause it's small [50 megs] and runs entirely from the CD. It looks like it'll be good to have on hand as a rescue CD - it booted quickly, detected the network and mounted the Windows system with a simple 'mount /dev/hda1 /mnt' command.

Cheers,
Mike
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

If I'm not mistaken, DSL installs as Debian, and in that case Audacity would a simple apt-get away!