Hello everyone!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

colonel_panic
Established Member

Hello everyone!

Post by colonel_panic »

Ooh, this bit always feels like writing a job application! Here goes.

My name is Chris, AKA colonel_panic. I live in the (currently very windy) Peak District in the UK. I have a very boring office job, but a nice life with a lovely, tolerant woman and a huge dog.

I've been using Linux since... oh, a long time. To give you an idea, my first Linux install was entirely from floppy images, downloaded on a 9600 baud modem (each image took a whole night, and my dad was furious about the phone bill!). I have tried to use open source tools for everything else since.

Fast forward to about five years ago, and the marina I was living in (I lived on a boat then) started a ukulele club. Nights are long when you live on your own on a boat in the British winter. It is cold, dark, and outside is wet. The best place is often bed. The ukulele is one of the few instruments you can practice while lying in bed in a narrowboat, plus I knew if I didn't get on with it I'd have a nice bit of kindling. Progress was slow, but I enjoyed myself, and stuck with it.

I've been taking lessons and practising for a 2-3 hours a day every day ever since. Made great friends too! My only regret is not finding music when I was younger. Let's face it, I'll always be a beginner, but I have a great time, and I am constantly challenging myself to learn new things. I'm a lot better than I was when I started.

What I want to do this year is learn to record my tracks for practice purposes, and maybe even sharing with other people. I currently use a handheld tape recorder which is OK for hearing how bad you are, but I'd like to do that digitally, really. And of course I'd like to do that on my Linux box! Currently, I have a little Atom powered netbook, which is usually running something Debian-related.

It's a great tribute to the developers of ALSA that I haven't had to do anything beyond basic tinkering to get sound working on any of my PCs for years. But there is a learning curve, not least because I need all sorts of new equipment! Which led me here.

Look forward to getting to know you all. :D
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Michael Willis »

It's great to meet you. Are you still primarily playing the uke? Do you tinker around with any other instruments? I do occasional arrangements of virtual instruments, and I recently started practicing clarinet after not really touching it for a couple of decades. Actually just recently I was thinking it could be fun to make a simple arrangement for clarinet and ukulele, maybe with a vocal track. I also have this crazy idea of home made percussion to go with it, like wooden spoons and cook pots and such.
colonel_panic
Established Member

Post by colonel_panic »

I love a bit of clarinet! And homemade percussion! I don't play either, but I might try in a bit.

Over Christmas, I revisited the penny whistle after similarly long break. It was nice to give it an outing!

I have a friend who plays ukulele/tenor guitar and recently started a band with a clarinet player and occasional washtub. Have a look on Youtube for the Wahoos. Early days but they're very promising.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hi Chris,

Wonderful to have you on board. And your uke and penny whistle surely make a great combination. :)

Some years ago, I sold most of my acoustic string instruments and replaced those with flat-body electric equivalents. A flat-body electric tenor guitar, for instance, substituting its very much louder acoustic cousin. Playing acoustically simply impossible, in my home. But I also bought an electric ukulele. Ideal, if unplugged, when you don't want to wind up the neighbours! And less expensive than you might think.

I also remember spotting a couple of flat-body models as well, when I was looking around for an instrument suited to my needs. Maybe something to consider.

Veerstryngh Thynner