New Guy!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MattBaker

New Guy!

Post by MattBaker »

Hello Everyone!
I found you guys googling around after installing the newest Ubuntu studio in a rack mount PC for my FOH rig. I was excited when I found this place!
I have a small sound company and run live sound for bands and festivals.

I installed Ubuntu studio mainly so I can have more views of my x32 while running shows like the meters and such on 4 monitors. Then I saw how far Ardour has come in the last few years and said to my self, hmm maybe I need to record shows too! I just built a second rack PC. 8 core i7 with 16 gigs of ram (needs more but it's a start) and 10 hot swappable HD bays.

I used to record shows with an iMac and logic studio but the iMac pisses me off regularly.

I'll read around on here and see if I can find any good helpful hints for recording live shows with Ardour.

:D Matt
GMaq
Established Member

Re: New Guy!

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Welcome, I would be quite interested in the hardware you used to build your Rack PC, I'd also like to incorporate one into our Mixer rack to record shows.

As far as Ardour 90% of my use is tracking bands in studio much of which is Live off the floor, Ardour of course is more than able to handle this and to be honest I don't think for recording Live the workflow would be that much different than any other DAW. Two of my favourite features in Ardour are the saving of templates with inputs, plugins, groups, track assignments all saved and preloaded when you open the session, it makes mixing and post-production effortless when all the plugins etc. are preloaded. The 'favourite' plugins pane to the left of the Mixer is also a real time saver, having all your commonly used plugins with the parameters preset ready to simply drag from the pane to your tracks is also pretty cool.

You may also want to have a look at Harrison mixbus (and Mixbus 32C), which is based on Ardour but brings the world renown Harrison consoles signal processing to a digital DAW. For Live mixing and recording Mixbus is truly world-class and is cross-platform.

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html

Great to have you here!
Glen