Hello Fellow Linux Musos

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

HamishTPB
Established Member

Hello Fellow Linux Musos

Post by HamishTPB »

Hi all

I am Scottish, I live in SW England near Bath with my white German Shepherd, Zeus. I mainly play guitars but I sometimes get behind the drum kit. Occasionally I dabble with bass and keyboards but usually only "guide" stuff for real musicians to redo later, I am trying to improve these skills though.

Music-wise my favourite band is The WHO but I am a fan of all sorts of rock and pop: The Clash, Marillion, Beatles, Rory Gallagher, King Crimson, Eels, Tori Amos, JJ72, Led Zep, Foo Fighters, Del Amitri, Genesis, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, etc. etc. etc.

I have several studio PCs including a laptop, previously I used Ubuntu Studio but I recently discovered KxStudio and this is taking over everything now. I started "rejigging" my studio set up this year and when it is finally tidied up and the dust settles I will make a proper "my studio" post :-)

I have gone through periods of analogue purity and digital domination but these days I tend to pick the best from both worlds and I don't get too precious about the tools so much as the end result.

My main guitar is a Line 6 Variax through the Pod XT Pro (all modelled from guitar to amp & FX) with the occasional software effect from time to time. My bass is a no-name electric P-style, through the Pod XT or just straight into the Hi-Z on my Xenyx UFX1604 desk. Drums, I currently have a Yamaha DTXPlorer electronic kit. Apart from learning and getting to grips with MIDI stuff within KxStudio I also have a (recently acquired) hardware rack mounted synth that I am really loving, a Korg N1R. I have a Korg K25 MIDI keyboard/controller but I am looking to add a 49 or 61 key modern model to the setup (see other post asking for advice!) and and omnitronic FAD-9 which I am still learning to set up but has seen a bit of DAW/Sequencer testing on the laptop.

For recording I tend to use Ardour with my Xenyx in firewire mode as a 16/4 I/O connection but I am getting into sequencing a bit nowadays too so LMMS and some classic emulations of drum machines are starting to find their way into my creative palette along with Hydrogen and ZynAddSubFX.

Paul (Hamish the PolarBear)
English Guy
Established Member

Re: Hello Fellow Linux Musos

Post by English Guy »

Welcome. Nice to see the prog mentions too. I still love that music.
tenryu
Established Member

Post by tenryu »

Yeah, "Talkin' 'bout my generation !" :)
Even if you can't sing well, sing. Sing to yourself. Sing in the privacy of your home. But sing.
"Nachman of Breslov"
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Hope I die before I get.......whoops too late :D
tenryu
Established Member

Post by tenryu »

:D
Even if you can't sing well, sing. Sing to yourself. Sing in the privacy of your home. But sing.
"Nachman of Breslov"
HamishTPB
Established Member

Post by HamishTPB »

English Guy wrote:Hope I die before I get.......whoops too late :D
Yeah - old fart here too :P