Howdy from Texas

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Hocketteer

Howdy from Texas

Post by Hocketteer »

Hello all,

IT pro here with a MM in Composition from the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore. Wearing both of those hats, I've been getting into Arch Linux and also investigating open source musical possibilities. So far I have built Arch Linux several times and am currently running it on a Mid-2009 Macbook Pro dual-boot with OSX. I've started learning Lilypond for engraving some old scores that currently only exist in paper form. I've also set up Jack, built Ardour 5 from source, and installed a view other applications such as Hydrogen and Cadence. Just recently managed to get it all working together. I am mainly interested in creating midi mockups of orchestral scores, but will probably dabble in some small recording and mixing projects, if only for the fun of it.

I have professional training and performance experience with piano (classical and keys/synths etc), voice (operatic and choral) and bass (electric and upright, jazz and country). I've recently picked up the didgeridoo, mostly because its awesome, but if my wife asks its to help with my snoring.

Oh, and did I mention I'm a new father? So the idea of getting any real work done in these areas is fleeting at best.

Cheers.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Re: Howdy from Texas

Post by MattKingUSA »

I hear ya. I'm working on new music myself and have 2 baby girls. So it's hard to get anything done. And I'm in online college now too and work full time. So it's tough.

-Matt :D