NVIDEA and "tweed" screen on ASUS/AMD64 mobo install

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AB1VL

NVIDEA and "tweed" screen on ASUS/AMD64 mobo install

Post by AB1VL »

Just getting started on KXStudio after a few years with REAPER. I'm the drummer in a garage band jazz trio and the default sound man.
I tried installing the 14.04.3 32 and 64 bit low-latency isos but shortly after initial bootup the screen goes into a tweed pattern and the system crashes. I suspect video driver incompatibility issue(s) as I've seen this before on older versions of Ubuntu on this machine. It currently runs well with Mint Rosa and Lubuntu 16.06 with LXDE, with and without prop. driver. Same disks installed no problem on Gateway/Intel quad core laptop and older Dell/Intel dual core desktop.

Can you suggest a work around? I was thinking of a USB stick install on a "good" machine, then tweaking the video to run on the AMD mobo. I use that AMD machine for Software Defined Radio and have an interest in using JACK to fork audio stream(s) to multiple JACK sources and sinks. I've spent days arm wrestling with pulseaudio-module-jack and qjackctl and my MAudio 192, trying to get audio out the 192's monitor ports. Your excellent software offers me the best hope of getting the config I want. BTW, the main application is based on QT5.5.

Last but not least, KXStudio is what I've been waiting for to get me into the music composition stuff I've always wanted to do. Kudos to the Manual authors as well; a real treat to read coherent documentation that answers all the right intro questions.
coolempty

Re: NVIDEA and "tweed" screen on ASUS/AMD64 mobo install

Post by coolempty »

I had a lot of different issues installing KXStudio 14.04.2 32bit or i686. In the end I got a smooth running install by using these specifics.

Bios set controller to AHCI.
GPT partition table on a 320g ssd.
----- 4 Primary partitions -----
1 gb with bios-grub flag added in g-parted.
/ 42g or whatever you want
/home 45g or whatever you want
SWAP 2.5 times the amount of RAM.
At the Grub2 install menu I select 'e' then append these boot parameters following ' quiet splash -- '.
threadirqs irqpoll nomodeset transparent _hugepage=never
Proceed with your install as usual.
coolempty

Psychedelic Velvet Recordings