Greetings from Northwood Mediaworks

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

northwood
Established Member

Greetings from Northwood Mediaworks

Post by northwood »

Hi there everyone, just saying hello. Hailing from Ontario, Canada, I have been creating music for about 45 years now, in various ways, most recently with Cubase and also Reaper on Windows and the Mac. I've been quite fond of Linux for the past 10 years or so, and have longed for a way to create music effectively this way also. Linux has often been my "office" go-to rather than through Wintel, thanks to Libre and OpenOffice. Played around with Ubuntu studio a few times, and have had some success with Reaper via Wine. 8)

Looking forward to reading here to gain insights I may not have found previously. I imagine I may bump into some folks I already know here. :D

Cheers

Robin (aka Northwood)
http://northwoodmediaworks.com
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Northwood Mediaworks

Post by GMaq »

Hi! Welcome!

I'm an Ontarian myself, great to have you here! :)
northwood
Established Member

Post by northwood »

Thanks... I am based between two locations, one in the GTA, and also in north eastern Ontario, near the Quebec border. You? 8)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I'm in the southwest near London, I know of at least one member here from the GTA (I'm sure there are more). 45 years! You've been at it a while, what kind of music do you enjoy creating?
northwood
Established Member

Post by northwood »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

I'm in the southwest near London, I know of at least one member here from the GTA (I'm sure there are more). 45 years! You've been at it a while, what kind of music do you enjoy creating?
I am a rocker at heart, but i worked in a studio for a while where we were faced with many genres, so I find myself on various tangents as the whim-de-jour carries me. :lol: (From neo classical to EDM and beyond!!! ) Played keys in about 6 different bilues/rock cover bands too. Don't like to pigeon hole myself into any one thing really. Its all just for fun now, and teaching the grandkids. :oops: There's a string of sketches you can catch on my site...

You?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

northwood wrote: I am a rocker at heart, but i worked in a studio for a while where we were faced with many genres, so I find myself on various tangents as the whim-de-jour carries me. :lol: (From neo classical to EDM and beyond!!! ) Played keys in about 6 different bilues/rock cover bands too. Don't like to pigeon hole myself into any one thing really. Its all just for fun now, and teaching the grandkids. :oops: There's a string of sketches you can catch on my site...

You?
Hey, enjoyed your site and the songs as well, a nice mix of really well produced stuff :wink:

Well for me, a mixed bag as well, I've been in a busy working cover band with the same guys for 24 years, it is what is... decent money to play what people want to hear, over the years we've found a bit of freedom in taking some liberties with the song arrangements and found a repertoire that people respond well to without playing too much sellout MOR pablum. I also fill in with a few bands as a drummer just enough to enjoy it..

This past year I've had the opportunity to put out an album of original material and have another one in the works, I've also had a modest home studio/rehearsal space for many years and this past year built a completely new studio with a proper control room and treated acoustic environment and hope to venture into some commercial recording at some point. I have a daughter who's a folkie and enjoys music as well as a son in a promising young band and we've just tracked their EP here which will be released soon so hopefully that will be a good demo for what is possible, I'm not in the grandkids years (yet), but if making music with them is half as fun as with kids then I'll be looking forward to it. :) Anyway enough about me :oops:

Some links to stuff:

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/rated-blue
Other stuff: http://www.bandshed.net/
northwood
Established Member

Post by northwood »

Hey, that's great stuff.... I miss those days... (but not drinking away the gig money :lol: )

And I downloaded AV last night, going to give it a whirl.

Grandkids are great because you can wind them up then give them back! (a little poetic justice in that! :twisted: ) Ours are all showing interest in music, dance, and theater, so they may just end up poor but happy! Our 9 year old is the techie, she's my shadow at studio north when we get together.

Cheers
White Wraith
Established Member

Post by White Wraith »

Impressive legacy. I'd never have kids though.
#mellogang
#slushitup

:^)