Hello, from Roxboro, N.Carolina.............

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

59Panhead
Established Member

Hello, from Roxboro, N.Carolina.............

Post by 59Panhead »

I found this forum, searching for a piece of software. I didn't find the info that I'm looking for, so I will make that a separate post. However, I think that I'm going to like this place.

First off, my passion is rebuilding/repairing and/or restoring vintage tube amplifiers. My original electronics training began with vacuum tubes and component-level solid state. Never pursued tubes, as solid state was giving way to integrated circuits. And, I wanted to stay up with the technology. Anyway, tubes were dead. Or so I thought.

I made my return to tube electronics a few years ago, and it's been a very enjoyable return. Downright addictive. I've managed to acquire/rescue a large number of vintage amps, before ebay and such places drove the prices to a level that is out of reason. No Fenders, except one. They are way too expensive in any condition. The one I have came from a studio in Oregon. A 50's Fender Champion. The owner had long retired and was finally giving his 'keepers' a home. He liked what I had to say and sold it to me very reasonably.

Now, I'm making my return, so to speak, to Linux. As Red Hat resides here in the state, my first venture was with Fedora 11, when I purchased the book with disk. Never really spent time with it, though I always kept some form of machine with a version on it. With quite a bit of time off during these Holidays, and no real plans, I began a serious venture into Fedora 22. It has not been disappointing at all. More and more, I'm finding apps to replace those that I use on Windows (which I'll still maintain). I do quite a bit of CAD work, making schematics, using AutoCAD. I've also used DraftSight on other Windows machines, and like the fact that it emulates (downright copies) AutoCAD. So, DraftSight is now on this machine running under Fedora.

I am a hobbyist programmer, and only just good enough to write the utilities that I need to do higher level math that I can't do in my head. I had Fortran, back in school, but had no way to use it outside. Then, I obtained Borland Pascal, back in the 80's. Then, moved to Borland Delphi, as I could modify my source code to use there. Now, I'm stuck with the dilemma of what to use in place of Delphi.

I consider myself a novice in this operating system, but I cut my teeth on DOS, and had exposure to Unix. Thank goodness for the Internet, for learning commands. Not sure that I will ever be able to learn and remember all. But, I write stuff down. And hopefully, leave enough bread crumbs to find my way back to those notes. I'll make this one of my forums to put on my regular visit list, and hope that I'll have something to contribute. Maybe the answers to the questions that I ask will be the help that others may need. And, I might even have something original to give.

Anyway, I'm watching and will check in often. Have a good one.

Jack
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Hello, from Roxboro, N.Carolina.............

Post by GMaq »

Welcome Jack!

From a fellow Linux user/tube fanatic :wink:

I'm an EL84/6BQ5 fan myself, how about you?
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

GMaq wrote:Welcome Jack!

From a fellow Linux user/tube fanatic :wink:

I'm an EL84/6BQ5 fan myself, how about you?
I've enjoyed more of the Octal varieties than others. However, I have developed a fondness for the EL-84/6BQ5 tubes for scratch-built designs. Not only as a Power Amp tube, but a really good Reverb driver. It was a preference with Guild (for Reverb) on some models in the 60's.

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to visiting.

Jack
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Hi Jack
A crusty old Valve (tube) Jockey here in the UK :)
First experience was with the grey metalised AC series, then the red tops EF3x. I once had my hands on a bespoke amp that someone made that had four KT88s. That was quite a beast once a friend and I got it working again. Also worked on valve TVs - seriously scary voltages there :o

Built a fair bit of discrete semiconductor kit, and a bit less interested in chip stuff, but been there too. Now getting into software - never stop learning :lol:

And all through this time I've been doing something music related :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

folderol -

After reading your intro, I updated my profile. Never took the opportunity to pursue tube electronics. I was drafted into the Army in '72, and had the chance to go that route. Being young and with no direction, I took the high tech route of missle systems. No tubes there. I wanted to follow the fastly growing technology of solid state. IC's came into play, later own. Now, I'm regressing nicely, back to tubes.

As to software, I'm now pursuing Python, as my replacement for Delphi under Windows. Not sure that I'll get past simple math programs. But, it's fun.

Thanks for the intro, and I'll be visiting here as often as I can. Have a good one.

Jack