Hi from jacklab.org

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Post by studio32 »

metasymbol wrote:
studio32 wrote:LASH aims to make that possible... and jack patchbay...I think
Did you ever work with this practically?
I try to learn it myself. I just discovered patchbay and it will save you time when you make some good patchbay's.

Als lash-panel works fine, but not all the apps supports it yet and that's a pitty....

I also use some scripts to start things quick....
metasymbol
Established Member

Post by metasymbol »

thorgal wrote:
so, in conclusion, if you feel linux is not good enough, there are plenty of alternatives out there. Why don't you wipe out your linux partition and allocate disk space for something else ... more creative ? :lol:
Linux is good enough for audio -JACK is a great audio interface software. With WineAsio I can have a full and stable "total recall" studio environment on Linux.

But as I written before:
AudioLinux need more developers with clear visions and strong skills! AudioLinux need stable and reliable user oriented production tools for music and video.
Hope one day we can use Linux as a equivalent platform beside windows or mac solutions!
I think this is a good aim. I don't say: everything is OK, no further development needed, I say, there is a lot to do (from the point of the needs of a music studio) so let's go.
www.jacklab.org - linux for musicians
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@ zettberlin: welcome to the forum ;) Thanks for upgrading the AMS effect processor howto :)
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

studio32 wrote:@ zettberlin: welcome to the forum ;) Thanks for upgrading the AMS effect processor howto :)
THanks for the flowers - :-)
nostrum fungitur
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Man..how can we forget that software is secondary?!

Lemme lay out the magic:

1) Skill
3) Gear

..wtf is 2?

YOU answer :mrgreen:

Ok contest winners and results aside, a Linux/Free Software-based studio is more than just a "studio". It's a studio built upon a certain philosophy. Sure, proprietary software have no major negative effect on production (since DAWs should not even connect to the internet), but the thing here is knowing you're not bound to any vendor for part of the process which plays a significant part in the bigger part which is the final project == pleasing the customer and/or pleasing yourself. That makes sense only to an extent because this entire post is badly-written. What I wanted to say is that Wav Composer Not Toilet is a SUPERB NAME!
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

metasymbol wrote:
This - on the other hand, is a bit too negative.
there is no negativity in to name what I'm missing (as a musician/producer) in the studio.
If you say, that you miss a lot of functionality in Linux audio, that is perfectly OK - because thus you name facts from your point of view and out of your experience.

But it is indeed no appropriate criticism anymore if you say, that one can only test buggy software in Linux but not work productive - because this is simply not true.

It takes me less then a minute after my 64Studio is up to have a complete real world music production running. And then I run it for 5-7 h without the need for any "debugging, testing, reading manpages etc etc etc". I simply do it -
metasymbol wrote: For sure there is Ardour and some nice apps on Linux. But the difference is to see when I boot up a Mac and see how nice the Mac version of Ardour supporting AU and LADSPA plugins and we Linux user still should use only poor LADSPA.
It is perfectly Ok, if you see it this way but not everybody does. Though I also would like to have better plugins LADSPA gives me results I like very much.

Plugins are a nice to have - the important stuff is HD-recording and this is done absolutely satisfactory with Ardour.

metasymbol wrote: Ardour didn't make the job because of missing midi sequencer (maybe one day) and support for pro plugins (like the Mac Ardour already do).
If you need to have a MIDI-sequencer this is important, if you want to record music, that does not need one, it is irrelevant. There is a discussion amongst Ardour users, if a MIDI sequencer, that many do not need, could bloat Ardour and if we could have a compile-option like SEQ=NO.

Regarding the plugins again:

1.) LADSPA-plugins can be combined for unique FX and can be used as absolutely satisfying processors in the mix.

2.) There is NO reason to have everything, that is possible at hand. I do NOT need stuff like Melodyne and I sure do not need GuitarRig.

I like to play with the virtual guitar-amp I made out of LADSPA-plugins but this is but one option to have a cool guitarsound. Real amps and standalone processors still deliver a multitude of options for guitarplayers to get a unique sound. And many many of them will NEVER unplug their guit from their 20 year old purely analogue guitar amp.

metasymbol wrote: Zynaddsubfx is not a bad synth but where is a working plugin version? And at least -all this apps "work like a charm" but not together in a music host software - thats the difference.
As you said: JACK sould have a "save"-button. absolutely true!
nostrum fungitur
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Is the save button in jack not patchbay? I don't see a other way.... or is should be something like lash
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

studio32 wrote:Is the save button in jack not patchbay?
Can the patchbay save and restore all apps in the session including the files, they had loaded when saving, their poisition on multiple desktops etc etc ?

studio32 wrote: .. or is should be something like lash
LASH *should* do something like that some day in the future....
nostrum fungitur
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Patchbay only saves the connections. LASH is the future.

There's one post in Hydrogen forums regarding making Hydrogen a "DSSI plugin". WTF? People are wanting things as if we're on the way to providing them zero-dollar Windows and Macs.

The mainstream mentality, in whatever camp (audio, scientific research, programming, video, graphics), is that Linux needs to be *like* Windows or Mac OS in order to be "productive". That's one huge fallacy. We may not be offering you VSTs and AUs, or all-in-one DAW suites, but whatever Linux and GNU can do - they do them well. Remember the Unix saying - one program for one task. Having everything in one container is making more complex code (bloat), hence leaving room for mistakes and who knows what else.

I do agree that plugins and such are really not major concerns, unless your sole purpose is electronic/computer music. Stuff like Melodyne are a joke. Music is becoming more of a stinking business than a passion. Oh well, it already has.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

check this: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=161

We need ardour to have LASH support! (and Rosegarden, ams ...)
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

to me, music remains a passion. I gave up a well paid job just for it, to devote all the time I feel I need to create the music inside of me that's been longing for birth for too long! :D I don't give a crap if it's not mainstream or even not done according to the industry standards. I do it because I need too and I want to do it well. And linux is the path I chose because that's the one I am comfortable with, not because of OS wars.

Concerning ppl who switch OS from windoze or mac to try out linux, it's only normal they ask for what they are used to. Let them mature together with linux, some won't keep up for sure but others will. My hope is that linux won't transform into, as you put it, as zero-dollar windows or mac, but something more intuitive and fun to use. I tried XP by curiosity and I must say, I don't even like it a bit. All these random popups telling you that you should do this or that, or propose you something that you don't care about. And this weird way of upgrading your system behind your back for core stuff, while applications have to be upgraded from a web browser ... this is truly lame but many others find it normal. OK, it's not a concern to me, I don't use windoze in my everyday's routine.
metasymbol
Established Member

Post by metasymbol »

So many different views -but it looks like audioLinux is perfectly ready for the majority of you and there is no need for big improvements. The cathedral: "Linux is a free playground, free from the capitalist world and only self reflected."

Yes I like software like GuitarRig, for me it is a very good tool unless that I have and like my old valve guitaramp. Yes I like to save my session with one click. Yes I like to use presets. yes sometimes I use quantization. Yes i like to use good designed software for FX. Yes I like to work with "industry standard" tools, because a good sample bank is a hard piece of work and why I should reinvent the wheel over and over again? For me, the freedom of expression is equal to the freedom of software. The world is not black or white, it is both and much more.

When I say I miss this and that -I don't want to hurt the little Linux penguin with this critics and there is no need to defend Linux. A few years ago I was similar, when i started with Linux. I though: Linux is perfect and the world is blind and I have to defend Linux.
But after a few weeks I realized, that there is still a lot to do - for those who want to bring Linux from the cathedral to the bazaar.

PS I don't like "windoze mac vs linux flamewars" - this was a thread where i introduce myself and my thoughts about linux as an experienced user and devel. So if someone like to talk with me, please see that I'm not defend this OSes, this is only a little voice in your head but not me. Please read the final posting again. I like Linux, I spend much time with Linux, I love to see Linux grow up, I support Linux the best I can.
Last edited by metasymbol on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

My linux is proudly capitolist. I paid 70 USD.

-Matt :D

thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

hey! I don't really understand your statements. nobody says here that linux is a cathedral and that all is perfect under it. I for one was the first here to promote a couple of VSTi's! But I have to remind you of one simple fact : please read again the name of this forum "LINUXMUSICIANS". So, it is about musicians who make music with linux. Nobody here is naive enough to believe that linux is way better than existing and well established industry standards, blabla. Here you have a bunch of ppl who use linux and enjoy doing so to express their musical creativity. That's the point of the forum. This is no jihad against MS or Apple. So stop trolling if that was your intention.
metasymbol
Established Member

Post by metasymbol »

thorgal wrote:hey! I don't really understand your statements. nobody says here that linux is a cathedral and that all is perfect under it. I for one was the first here to promote a couple of VSTi's! But I have to remind you of one simple fact : please read again the name of this forum "LINUXMUSICIANS". So, it is about musicians who make music with linux. Nobody here is naive enough to believe that linux is way better than existing and well established industry standards, blabla. Here you have a bunch of ppl who use linux and enjoy doing so to express their musical creativity. That's the point of the forum. This is no jihad against MS or Apple. So stop trolling if that was your intention.
oha! please read the edit. please read the final post.