Windows hater!!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bobbyjo
Established Member

Windows hater!!

Post by bobbyjo »

Hi, I'm Bobby & a windows hater!! So I looking to find out about all the good programs for liunx that will work better than BIAB & also a good replacement for Cubase. I'm not much of a programer, but will always give in a go! I have use Ubuntu in the past & have just installed Mint. I have use linux for more than 8 years, but have always let the big guys do the programing. I love playing keyboards & have a Atelier roland R20 organ.(yeah, I know. It's one of the cheaper ones) but has some lovely sounds. I also have just got a Korg 05R/W. I link them up to a old Yamaha UW500 personal studio usb to the computer.
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Re: Windows hater!!

Post by Scary Hallo »

Maybe you shoud try kxstudio. kxstudio.sourceforge.net I think you can also inatall the repos in Mint
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

I'm 100% Linux, and I don't even use wine. Myself I'm stuck on LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio)
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Muse sequencer is the most similar to Cubase IMHO and was my way into Linux from Cubasis on windows.

I mainly record instruments so I tend to use Ardour these days but would still use Muse if I needed midi as I find most other options on Linux either unfriendly or (In the case of Ardour) a complete train wreck in terms of usability. (Dons flame proof suit ;) ).
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

This is what I have and fulfills my needs.
Yamaha YPG-525 88-key Portable Grand
For live recording with Audacity
Allen & Heath zed10fx mixer with 2 Spark Studio Level 3 Microphone's plugged in via usb.
studio reference headphones for sound mixing.
Akai MPD26 performance pad controller for my percussion instruments

Software:
Aconnectgui -To see midi connections with ALSA
Audacity - final editing
Cowbell Music Organizer - adding tags
Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont (GM) -system wide soundfonts.
LMMS – Linux Multimedia Studio – Music production.
NTED – Musical Score editor
TiMidity++ with TiMidity daemon and TiMidity++ extra user interfaces. - Output for NTED, and useful for listening to midi's produced by the score editor.

I also have a large library of custom soundfonts , and sound effects.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953
bobbyjo
Established Member

Post by bobbyjo »

I've sold my Roland R20 & gone for a GCP700 casio. Got a real bargain from Guitar center. $350! without the bottom stand. So I'm building my own. Doesn't look much at the moment, but hoping to finish it soon. I still have my UW500 Yamaha & Korg 05R/W. I have since installed Ubuntu Studio & found it to be very useful. I would like to try kxstudio, like some of you have recommended. But couldn't get on with KDE desktop. Is that where kxstudio came from?
Could I install kxstudio along side ubuntu studio without conflicts.

See pic's of stand.
Piano side.jpg
Piano side.jpg (200.43 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
Attachments
Piano front.jpg
Piano front.jpg (222.4 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

bobbyjo wrote:I would like to try kxstudio, like some of you have recommended. But couldn't get on with KDE desktop. Is that where kxstudio came from?
Could I install kxstudio along side ubuntu studio without conflicts.
You can enable kxstudio repos from within ubuntu studio, and install any software that is available from kxstudio.

It does not require you to use KDE.

Follow directions on this page, where it says "You can install it manually by running this:" http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

bobbyjo wrote:for linux BIAB
There's really no Linux equivalent to "Band in a Box", but my software "BackupBand" is the closest you'll get to that style of algorithmic software.

Go to https://sourceforge.net/p/backupband/co ... ster/tree/ and click on "Download snapshot". A "BackupBand" executable is included for 64 bit linux. For 32 bit, you'll have to compile it.

Read Docs/backupband.htm

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:
bobbyjo wrote:for linux BIAB
There's really no Linux equivalent to "Band in a Box", but my software "BackupBand" is the closest you'll get to that style of algorithmic software.

Go to https://sourceforge.net/p/backupband/co ... ster/tree/ and click on "Download snapshot". A "BackupBand" executable is included for 64 bit linux. For 32 bit, you'll have to compile it.

Read Docs/backupband.htm
Not quite the same thing, but there's MMA (Musical Midi Accompaniment)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
bobbyjo
Established Member

Post by bobbyjo »

Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to try "backupband" & also load up kxstudio now I know I don't need to have it on KDE.
Thanks Guys.