Hi from London UK!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jmstone

Hi from London UK!

Post by jmstone »

Hi everyone!

Just got round to registering on here, although I have been using Linux exclusively for my music recording and composition since around 2003.. Used to be on the LAU mailing list, but for some reason my email keeps getting dropped from the list, and in any case it seems to have degenerated into a bit of an ego-fest since its early days, so I decided to come here instead - which seems a better solution for getting to the interesting threads and ignoring the flames.

So, anyway, coming from Slackware to Debian via RedHat (and Mandrake), I am now running Ubuntu (started out as studio, but I dropped a lot of the studio scripts as they were getting a bit intrusive for my liking - ie. kernel boot management).

My audio interface is a Scarlett 2i4, which is working pretty fine, and capable of relatively low latencies (128/2 or sometimes 64/2 if I don't push the system too hard), although I am not sure if the absolute latencies are really _that_ low if I bothered to measure them. However, it's a bit temperamental with increasing CPU load - and the xruns start appearing even with 256/2 and 512/2 when running at >50% CPU. I guess a PCI card would have been more stable, but the added convenience of having the device easily swapped between computers makes up for that.

Regarding software, I have tried most if not all Linux sequencers. My current favorite is renoise, but I have just noticed that Muse supports all plugin architectures now, and am planning to give it a spin. Ardour 3/4 don't really suit my workflow for midi (note editing by hand), qtractor is nice but also a bit too quirky for me in its midi editing implementation. Rosegarden doesn't seem to support vst at the moment - or is that my imagination??

Anyway, hi everyone, and I am looking forward to getting involved in the discussions!

James

English Guy
Established Member

Re: Hi from London UK!

Post by English Guy »

Greetings back from the distant south east of England. I am a Debian user (originally Slackware like you, then Ubuntu). I tend to use ardour as I play rather than program, but Muse would be my first choice if I wanted to program midi. I am also a big fan of Hydrogen for drums, especially because of its humanise functions.
All the best
Guy

StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Hello James !

Good to see another "old-timer" here. :)

Best,

dp

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hi James,

Greetings from another Londoner. Whereabouts do you live, roughly?

tnob

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Well well, it seems there are quite a few peeps with a similar background. I'm currently in Kent, and although new to this forum have been a Linux musician since the early naught-ies, but have been a musician in some form or another since 19 {mmmfty}{mmmf} :)

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Hi all,
Another debian musician here, also in SE England, but my sequencer of choice is Rosegarden - an oldie but a goodie.

edit: Spooky, the post I couldn't find before is now immediately above this one :shock:

MGdesigner
Established Member

Post by MGdesigner »

Wow! You are elder!! Greeting.

About midi editing, I used to composed in Rosegarden,and then record to Ardour. :D

Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Hi Folderol

Love that user name. Wasn't Folderol a tune by Hatfield and the North?

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks for the welcome peeps :)
I've used the handle Folderol all over the place, but the first time I remember hearing the word was as a kid where some comic singers sang it when they (supposedly) forgot the words, ending up with them singing nothing but folderol :)