I'm new to linux/digital music

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hlblyhipy
Established Member

I'm new to linux/digital music

Post by hlblyhipy »

Hi names Andrew,and I'm knew here.Obviously.I'm a partime musician,that is new to digital music and linux,double trouble.I'm used to magnetic mediums to record,music.I recently downloaded ubuntu studio,and all I can say is ,I think im in way over my head.So i'm sure you guys here will be able to help.Seems like a good forum already.Thanx
English Guy
Established Member

Re: I'm new to linux/digital music

Post by English Guy »

Hi Andrew.

I made the transition from tape to digital a few years ago. It is just incredible that we can have what used to cost large amounts of money for virtually free.

Fortunately a lot of the computer stuff is modelled on the old physical stuff we used to use, that gives you an edge over a newbie who has never used anything. A mixer strip is still a mixer strip & a patchbay is still a patchbay and effects are still effects.

all the best
Guy
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Hello, Andrew. If you work with hardware, then using Linux in your workflow is just right. Buy a good multichannel sound interface, connect it and go. Routing in JACK is very simple yet powerful, and there are some good plugins present. Moving to software processing (if you plan to do it) is kinda difficult, but it can be super-easy with Ardour since its mixer looks and works just like any common mixing console. Good luck!

P.S. Try to improve your English. I read your message about 5 times before I started to understand it.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

I use LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio) for almost everything.
Here is a sample of my work.
https://soundcloud.com/eino1953/pachelb ... piano-solo
Welcome to the forum.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953
hlblyhipy
Established Member

Post by hlblyhipy »

Thank you to all who repsonded.As for my english,thats not what needs work,but certainly my grammer and punctuation do lol.Sorry.
Well I ran into my first bit of trouble.I dual booted windows vista and ubuntu studio 14.Vista works fine as does ubuntu.After many attempts to configure jack, guitarix, and audacity still have no output.I tried several approaches from this forum as well as ubuntu forums.I have an input and the meters in both guitarix and audacity show that my signal is getting to tape.Still i have no audio output.Along with that i now have no audio at all.I'm sure it is something i'm doing wrong as opposed to the software.As a result of my frustrations I uninstalled Ubuntu studio and reinstalled.Basically starting from scratch.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanx.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

On a lot of Linux distros you will get no sound from Audacity if you are running jack. Jack is best used with Muse or Ardour that are built to use its capabilities.

Audacity is a good place to start, but you cannot use effects in real time on it (e.g. adjust reverb & listen to the effect while it plays), or synchronise it with other software (e.g I like to run ardour synchronised with Hydrogen drum machine).

Keep plugging away, it is worth the effort, just a lot of stuff to take in at first. There is loads of stuff on the web to help to.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

On my Xubuntu 12.04 LTS Audacity runs fine with JACK.

You can of course feed anything through anything with JACK. Connect Audacity's output with some kind of JACK rack where you place your plugins. Connect this output to Audacity's input. Et voila, you hear the effects in realtime.

Playing the mix with Audacity, feed it to Jamin and record Jamin's output with Audacity is how I do the mastering.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/