Experimenting, recording, MacBook Pro and Fast Track Ultra

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

straight_up
Established Member

Experimenting, recording, MacBook Pro and Fast Track Ultra

Post by straight_up »

Hi there,

I do a bit of singing, songwriting, playing different instruments mainly guitar and fiddle. Right now experimenting with recording and arranging and software instruments, and trying to understand some different tools. I'm running on a MacBook Pro with a Fast Track Ultra. The last Mac OS upgrade broke the DAW I had been using (an old Ableton Live Lite version that wasn't too well suited to the things I wanted to do anyway) so I started messing around with Ardour and Hydrogen. Then I found that Hydrogen didn't really work properly on Mac OS X, and there were a lot of other programs that used JACK that I wanted to try out but wouldn't install on Mac OS X, so here I am dual booting and trying to figure out a system that will work for me. I've just successfully installed Mint to get my feet wet since I haven't tried running Linux in several years. Now I'm looking into the possibilities of either AVLinux or KXStudio. I made live DVDs of both, but the KXStudio one is giving me some problems. I'm sure I will have lots of questions to try and figure out. Right now, mostly trying to figure out how to get the Fast Track Ultra working with JACK in Mint.