Hello from Poland

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Silgrin4D
Established Member

Hello from Poland

Post by Silgrin4D »

Hello from Poland!

I am an amateur... 3D graphician and thus it is completely obvious that I have been crazy about music for years :D Finally having the opportunity to get beyond just listening: trying to break into the (somewhat hermetic) world with the hopes of adding a fifth (yes, fifth...) dimension to my artwork. Maybe this sounds like a bit secondary goal, but really it is far more important path than it seems... The (hopefully) realistic goal would be to fiddle with atmospheres and exploring the world of music in my own way - actively, at least through (re)interpretation of classical work. Basing my current effort on the free software, not on collecting top-spec snd cards, keybrds etc. I am really happy to find the forum!

Currently: Ubuntu Studio, no MIDI hardware, head full of great hopes;)
baconature
Established Member

Re: Hello from Poland

Post by baconature »

Hello and welcome,

I hope you are able to fulfill your goals. Creativity is important to those of us who find that part of life.

Regards,
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

welcome! for a better picture of the current state of linux audio you might want to take a look at kxstudio.
Silgrin4D
Established Member

Post by Silgrin4D »

tatch wrote:welcome! for a better picture of the current state of linux audio you might want to take a look at kxstudio.
Thanks, I have read sth about it, but KX appears to me to be more oriented towards playback and processing of recorded sound?!

What I need is software that would allow me to start with sheetmusic / MIDI file (no hardware synth / keybrd for now!!). I would like it to play the notes and then I could start learning how to manipulate the sound. The only working option thus far was Ableton Live trial under Windows. Can`t make any software under Linux play - Ardour doesn`t seem to read MIDI files (always "wrong file" msg) and all I could find about Rosegarden is too complex for a total beginner - tried several times, did a lot of setup but it each time stopped working ~in the middle of the tute. Maybe some suggestions for software that could
- read MIDI
- synthesize / sample music based on it, and
- allow at least basic manipulation of the resulting sndtrack / whatever-is-the-name-of-the-*****-outcome;)?
...without spending the rest of my life on setting the whole thing up w/o getting a single squeak in return? Really need some (any :twisted: ) effect to proceed with, just to know where to go...

Will be thankful for help, spent a couple of weeks bouncing off the penguin wall.
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Sheetmusic? Check out MuseScore. I don't even bother using my MIDI keyboard with it because it's quicker to enter music with A-G for pitch, 1-9 for note duration, etc. I mainly use it just for printed scores, not MIDI. It's not really usable as a synth or sequencer though. Sometimes I export MIDI from it and import to a sequencer like Qtractor, where I have tons of awesome JACK-based synths to choose from.

Some other programs (LMMS, Yoshimi, Hydrogen?, etc) have a virtual keyboard layed out like a piano (using a QWERTY keyboard).

Most of those don't even need JACK (which is a pain at first).
Silgrin4D
Established Member

Post by Silgrin4D »

tnovelli wrote:Sheetmusic? Check out MuseScore[...] It's not really usable as a synth or sequencer though

I know a score-to-MIDI program, this is how I got Ableton work... I meant a DAW / seq / synt / smplr that would read MIDI / score files and do the further job ;)
tnovelli wrote:Sometimes I export MIDI from it and import to a sequencer like Qtractor, where I have tons of awesome JACK-based synths to choose from[...]JACK (which is a pain at first)

Yes, this is exactly the way I hope to do the first things. I'm not quite sure about QWERTY piano playing;)
Qtractor? I thought it was just another counterpart to Rosegarden... but it needs somewhat less JACK re-wiring (I spent a lot of time trying to make it work and I have to agree JACK _is_ a pain - at first, I hope), and is a little bit better documented. Qtractor IS working as for now. Thanks, folks, and see you in another topic soon;)