Hello! + Scarlett MIDI Issue

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mysterybear

Hello! + Scarlett MIDI Issue

Post by mysterybear »

Hi all,

I just joined to post about this issue I'm having so I'll outline that first and intro after

The Issue

Here's a list of the stuff I'm using:

Scarlett 4i4
Roland FP-90X
VCV Rack (sometimes Ardour)
Pipewire (and I usually select JACK as the audio driver within Rack)

I've selected the "Pro Audio" configuration option from within pavucontrol, this seems to give better working access to the Scarlett ports and audio routing works great

But when I plug a MIDI cable from the FP-90X MIDI OUT to the Scarlett 4i4 MIDI IN... Well, the MIDI light on the Scarlett flashes, but apart from that I can't see anything happening. There are no MIDI devices showing for the Scarlett. I've checked signals coming from the device called "Midi-Bridge:Midi Through:(capture_0) Midi Through Port-0" and nothing there

So that's as far as I've got, if anyone could suggest what I should do to troubleshoot/fix this that'd be really awesome!

Personal Intro

I'm into modular experimental kinda stuff, all across and in between the genre spectra from acid techno/house, jazz, ambient, all the world's classicals, anything really, so long as it feels interesting/exploratory or something I don't know :) also a software engineer, currently working in 3D web, so I'm keen on this VCV Rack stuff and also maybe interested in coding stuff e.g. live-coding, Faust DSP etc but still gotta get my feet wetter on those. Will leave it there for now, cheers :)
Impostor
Established Member

Re: Hello! + Scarlett MIDI Issue

Post by Impostor »

Maybe using Pulseaudio at one end (pavucontrol), Jack at another, and Pipewire in between is asking for trouble. I would at least try pure Jack first (or even just Alsa) to get everything working. Add extra layers later if you must.
mysterybear

Post by mysterybear »

I needed to disable this MSD thing!

Found the solution here https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxaudio/com ... ring_as_a/

Mine wasn't appearing as a mounted drive but it wasn't appearing as a MIDI device until doing this thing with the 48V button
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

mysterybear wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 pm 48V button
Whoa, that's super weird! I've used two other Focusrite devices (2i4 and 18i20) and I didn't ever experience anything like that. I'm glad you figured it out!