Hello :)

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nosleepjusthuh
Established Member

Hello :)

Post by nosleepjusthuh »

Hello everybody.
I got into Linux properly a couple years ago after having tinkered on and off since 2007 trying to save old hardware. When I realized there was such a deep environment of free and opensource software for music production I became hooked. It may have been digging around Musescore in the past that had me stumble into it all but I'm not quite sure..
I've also been a lurker of this forum as a guest for months and I figured it's finally time to join to share my enthusiasm for Linux and music!
The discussions and new tech is always so interesting.

Anyway glad to be here. :)
folderol
Established Member

Re: Hello :)

Post by folderol »

... and pleased to see you here too :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Saving old PCs by putting GNU/Linux on 'em, you are a everyday hero. Welcome :wink:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
pradagio
Established Member

Post by pradagio »

nosleepjusthuh wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:14 pm I got into Linux properly a couple years ago after having tinkered on and off since 2007 trying to save old hardware. When I realized there was such a deep environment of free and opensource software for music production I became hooked. It may have been digging around Musescore in the past that had me stumble into it all but I'm not quite sure..
welcome! even though you got here before i did!
we run our stuff on older pcs and archlinux.
i used to use musescore (even subscribed to the course - lot of good stuff there as well as the musescore cafe.

however, i switched to lilypond and use it with emacs, frescobaldi (till a python mess-up) and now plan to use rosegarden to generate the lilypond code.
in friendship,
prad
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

nosleepjusthuh wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:14 pm Hello everybody.
I got into Linux properly a couple years ago after having tinkered on and off since 2007 trying to save old hardware. When I realized there was such a deep environment of free and opensource software for music production I became hooked. It may have been digging around Musescore in the past that had me stumble into it all but I'm not quite sure..
I've also been a lurker of this forum as a guest for months and I figured it's finally time to join to share my enthusiasm for Linux and music!

Welcome to the pack! Hope to hear some of your creations :wink:
nosleepjusthuh
Established Member

Post by nosleepjusthuh »

pradagio wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:58 am
welcome! even though you got here before i did!
we run our stuff on older pcs and archlinux.
i used to use musescore (even subscribed to the course - lot of good stuff there as well as the musescore cafe.

however, i switched to lilypond and use it with emacs, frescobaldi (till a python mess-up) and now plan to use rosegarden to generate the lilypond code.
I primarily have been using arch as well but recently have found issues with pipewire and software like bitwig not playing nicely.. as of today I'm trying to make ubuntu 22.10 work as it has pipewire implemented by default. Only weird issue is it doesn't seem to show up in systemctl when trying typical commands. :l
Arch really feels so good when it works as underneath it is all solid and logical.
Also wrote a few songs in frescobaldi but found it cumbersome trying to use the playback compared to musescore's. Just a bit stifling for my workflow. The allure of an entire song in plaintext is so good though!
folderol wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:30 pm ... and pleased to see you here too :)
Thanks!
Basslint wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:44 am Saving old PCs by putting GNU/Linux on 'em, you are a everyday hero. Welcome :wink:
That's how it was recommended to me back in 06 or 07ish so I guess it stuck haha.
OccinticLady wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:37 pm
nosleepjusthuh wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:14 pm Hello everybody.

Welcome to the pack! Hope to hear some of your creations :wink:
I'll have to get around to it soon. Struggling to make music for myself these days and I have this goal of trying to make something epic that's totally foss. Still using a chunk of proprietary plugins and software when it suits.
paanjii2

Post by paanjii2 »

hello,
i am new here from india, and i am here to share some thoughts with you all i hope you like ..
Last edited by paanjii2 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

paanjii2 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm hello,
i am new here from india, and i am here to share some thoughts with you all i hope you like
Welcome, friend! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!