Hello there...

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

1108redux
Established Member

Hello there...

Post by 1108redux »

Hello everyone! I am a 16 year old linux enthusiast, music producer, and software developer. I'm a huge computer nerd and have been using linux since I was 14 (mostly distro-hopping, but settled on ubuntu studio), but I kept my windows partition for music production using FL studio since I couldn't find a good replacement for serum (I liked everything else; Bitwig, Reaper, and Ardour were great on linux, and there were many amazing FX, but no competent synths that could replace serum). But then vital released, and I was finally able to switch over to linux full-time and remove my windows partition (no more GRUB)! I'm also trying to get into audio plugin development with C++ and JUCE (it's proving to be quite difficult coming over from web development, but I'm learning). I mostly enjoy making ambient and house music (sometimes I make trap beats for my friend who wants to be a rapper though). I hope to learn and make some great music here!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Hello there...

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi @1108redux!
1108redux wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 amBut then vital released, and I was finally able to switch over to linux full-time and remove my windows partition (no more GRUB)!
I love these stories about just one thing that made the difference and allowed somebody to stop using a Windows partition. As you continue along, I'm curious if you find anything else missing from the Linux audio production experience. It has vastly improved over the years, but I feel like there are still plenty of things that could make it better.
1108redux wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 amI'm also trying to get into audio plugin development with C++ and JUCE (it's proving to be quite difficult coming over from web development, but I'm learning).
You can also take a look at Distrho Plugin Framework and Dplug. I used DPF to develop Dragonfly Reverb, and I'm using Dplug for a new project. I spent several years using C++ as a hobbyist and in college, and now that I'm using Dplug, I think that D is a really nice language.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear that you made the big move away from dual booting :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
alexson
Established Member

Post by alexson »

Hello @1108redux!,

Welcome here. Nice to meet you.