CCR - Albert Hall Concert film finally released!

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

CCR - Albert Hall Concert film finally released!

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

May be of interest to some of our errr... uhm... mature music fans (like me).

I've been a Creedence Clearwater Revival fanatic and a working musician playing much of their repertoire for 30+ years, people young and old still love it! Many many years ago some friends got me a rather horrible bootleg VHS copy of their fabled London Albert Hall Concert (not to be confused with the Oakland Coliseum concert) and I was smitten, I basically developed an interest in Digital Video restoration to do what I could to improve the quality of the concert footage and over the years I have purchased a few better incarnations of so-called 'import' DVD's but the concert itself had never been officially released...until now!

I'm in Canada so this may not be everywhere but some documentary footage narrated by Jeff Bridges and the entire concert restored from the original film is now on Netflix and reportedly the film will be released for sale in November! The film is called 'Travelin' Band: Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Royal Albert Hall' and if you are even a casual CCR fan it is well worth the watch IMHO..

Here is the trailer on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSgjNffYBdo

Sometimes good things do come to those who wait...
folderol
Established Member

Re: CCR - Albert Hall Concert film finally released!

Post by folderol »

I remember my brother and I were quite shocked when mum bought herself a copy of Proud Mary :shock:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This looks so good, thanks for sharing! CCR songs are simple and to the point, but the energy of the performances, the lyrics and melodies are timeless.

After listening to the preview, it's really, really hard not making unfair, ignorant old man statements about the incredibly boring and flaccid overprocessed top 40 of today. So I won't.

Ooh baby baby.
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ufug wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:59 am This looks so good, thanks for sharing! CCR songs are simple and to the point, but the energy of the performances, the lyrics and melodies are timeless.

After listening to the preview, it's really, really hard not making unfair, ignorant old man statements about the incredibly boring and flaccid overprocessed top 40 of today. So I won't.

Ooh baby baby.
Hi ufug! So great to see you in these parts again, I'm still enjoying Fiesta Red! Really great work!

It seems CCR's rootsy marriage of Country, Blues, Early Rock and Fogerty's insightful lyrics have had at least some staying power. I've been to a few John Fogerty concerts over the years and when he plays the CCR tunes you look around and there are Grandmas, Vietnam Vets, Bikers, and their kids and grandchildren all singing along together at the top of their lungs... Liberals and Conservatives all belting out 'rollin on a river' without a care except enjoying the event, not to overstate but the unity I've seen at some concerts of 'classic' artists is a real weird juxtapostion to kids getting trampled and crushed to death at other events, that really isn't a dig about any particular music style simply an observation at how some of that music from the so-called Woodstock era can still inspire and unite people. The interest in the Beatles Get Back series and Summer of Soul and now this long buried CCR film seems to indicate a hunger for that frame of mind if not for music styles that are less ornamental and much more organic...

We've seen the pendulum swing back and forth over many decades between technological advances and a return to more visceral and organic styles, I think we're probably due for a course correction soon again..
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I think pop music taps into the zeitgeist. A hit single is a hit because it's right for that time. I think the pendulum swings are partly to do with musical movements, but also to do with what's happening in the wider world.

In times of economic stress it seems that more familiar music appeals. There's less money about, and people don't want to take a chance. They stick with what they know. AC/DC went to the top of charts in 2008 with Black Ice.

Music from the Woodstock era was part of the counter-culture, and that vibe may be relevant today. Modern pop/rock/garbage is very much part of the corporate machine, and a million miles from rock'n'roll. :D
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@GMaq
not to overstate but the unity I've seen at some concerts of 'classic' artists is a real weird juxtapostion to kids getting trampled and crushed to death at other events, that really isn't a dig about any particular music style simply an observation at how some of that music from the so-called Woodstock era can still inspire and unite people.
Hate to bring it up, but the first instance in my memory of the "crushed to death" concert-goer syndrome is not recent at all: the Stones Altamont concert in 1969, the Who's 1979 Cincinnati concert, and more. People are, as individuals, mostly great, but in crowds, not so much.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Star Gate, sci fi tv series, SG1 is stuck in a time loop, which leads to some frustration.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQAXnJaaepU

Have you ever seen the rain ? :)

Last episode of SG1.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tseaver wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:30 am @GMaq
not to overstate but the unity I've seen at some concerts of 'classic' artists is a real weird juxtapostion to kids getting trampled and crushed to death at other events, that really isn't a dig about any particular music style simply an observation at how some of that music from the so-called Woodstock era can still inspire and unite people.
Hate to bring it up, but the first instance in my memory of the "crushed to death" concert-goer syndrome is not recent at all: the Stones Altamont concert in 1969, the Who's 1979 Cincinnati concert, and more. People are, as individuals, mostly great, but in crowds, not so much.
Yes this is true, and there are often other circumstances at play, ticket ripoffs, unsanitary conditions, hard drugs, having Hell's Angels doing your security.. The other recent documentary on Netflix about Woodstock 1999 would add more ballast to your point as well.

I will say that I think the style of music and the mindset and persona of the artist will have a lot to do with how the mob behaves, the Woodstock 1999 doc also make a pretty good case for that and also that large groups of white entitled 'Bro-ey' Fratboys could effectively end any civilization...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

An interesting companion piece to the CCR Netflix film... shameless plug here..

PiXXelFiXX is my Video Restoration alter ego and last year from 3 different sources I restored and upscaled the 1971 CCR 'In Concert' documentary from which some of the archival footage in the Netflix film was used. I also synced the full concert clips with the recorded performances off the CCR 'In Concert' album. The import sources of this content are all multi-generation VHS copies so I did the best I could with the tools at hand and compared to the original sources this is substantially improved, perhaps if there is significant interest and income from the Netflix CCR concert album maybe this documentary will see the light of day as an official Remastered release.

In the meantime for ardent CCR fans I offer this:
https://youtu.be/uE6u0YZHB14
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Gmaq
An interesting companion piece to the CCR Netflix film... shameless plug here..

PiXXelFiXX is my Video Restoration alter ego and last year from 3 different sources I restored and upscaled the 1971 CCR 'In Concert' documentary from which some of the archival footage in the Netflix film was used. I also synced the full concert clips with the recorded performances off the CCR 'In Concert' album. The import sources of this content are all multi-generation VHS copies so I did the best I could with the tools at hand and compared to the original sources this is substantially improved, perhaps if there is significant interest and income from the Netflix CCR concert album maybe this documentary will see the light of day as an official Remastered release.

In the meantime for ardent CCR fans I offer this:
https://youtu.be/uE6u0YZHB14
Really nice work there! Thanks for sharing that blast from the past.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz