gphoto compatible Camera to video record and stream

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Fmajor7add9
Established Member

gphoto compatible Camera to video record and stream

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

I'm looking for a used digicam that's compatible with http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote (Liveview / Webcam column) so it can be used as webcam as well.

Preferably it should also have a fast wide angle lens, minimum 4x optical zoom, image stabilization and be able to record 720p video with decent autofocus.

Budget ca. 150€ so second hand devices like Canon G7 X or EOS M100 are on the list so far. EOS and similar mirrorless models probably overkill for my current need but futureproof in terms of lens options. DSLRs like Canon EOS 650D (Digital Rebel T4i) and Nikon D5100 are in the same price range here but seems too bulky for my usage both to carry around and to position as video recorders with a gorillapod on a chair or something like that.

The super cheap 7-10 years older ones like PowerShot S5 generally don't have wide angle lenses, some can be retrofitted but then they start to hit the 100€ mark where never sensors become available.

The video recording could also be delegated to a small actioncam GoPro clone. Mic quality isn't crucial.

Anyway, happy to what any of you might recommend. Maybe there's a Linux-photo-gear related forum somewhere?