Fmajor7add9
Established Member

LNXMuSCNS video meet April 3rd / 6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 14.00 EDT

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

#Video meet
#6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 14.00 EDT
#time-zone-converter here and here

You are invited and most welcome
- to meet and talk and chat about anything Linux audio related.

It's an open cafe with no particular schedule, stay as long as you like, it usually runs 3-4 hours so do join in later if you can.

Join at fairmeeting.net/alinuxmusiciansvideomeeting.
Video and mic usage is optional, meeting room chat is open for all.
If time and tech permits the room will open in advance with an audio loop bot to test audio settings.

This thread is posted to track any notes and stuff that may come up and to help spread the word.

There's a shared scratchpad agenda open (no login req.) at framapad.org.
  • When joining you may see a notice about being the only participant, ignore that, if anyone else is in the room they'll appear within seconds.
  • Post a reply below if anything doesn't work out at your end.
This will be the 5th linuxmusicians.com video meet organized on @briandc's initiative.
Here are some bullet point minutes from meet#2, meet#3 and a thread from meet#4
Last edited by Fmajor7add9 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
folderol
Established Member

Re: LNXMuSCNS video meet April 3rd / 6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 14.00 EDT

Post by folderol »

Just a small detail about time zones. GMT is UTC. In the summer, the UK is on BST (British Summer Time), not GMT.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

folderol wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:14 pm Just a small detail about time zones. GMT is UTC. In the summer, the UK is on BST (British Summer Time), not GMT.
thanks, I was literally staring at the clock for half an hour trying to figure out the diff. summer time zones.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

trying to figure out a loop 'bot' to test audio settings in the meeting room.

So you could log on to a test room and a bot is already there running a play and record loop.

You say something for 10 seconds and the loop bot rewinds and repeats the last 10 seconds.

But how can the loop then be flushed automatically for another test?

That'd require some kind of plan ahead future where the looper is told to erase a loop after every second run I guess.

Checking https://superlooper.universlabs.co.uk and http://openavproductions.com/luppp/ with limited hopes but some curious poke-around-energy nevertheless

Maybe some basic macro commands scripting would be simpler, to tell the looper host to:

Code: Select all

1: join the meet
2: record any input from the room for 10 seconds
3: playback the recording for 10 seconds
4: leave the room
5: wait 20 seconds in order to overdub 10 seconds of silence
6: repeat from 1
I've used https://github.com/autokey/autokey before for something similar.
Could of course just be used directly on the looper instead I guess, to eliminate step 5: above

Workaround for anyone who's got 2 or more devices, say an Android device with the Jitsi app: log on from the device and monitor its output as you're trying to input sound from your main LAW which you intend to use for a meet (to be able to share all of your LAW tools tracks sounds gizmoz)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Does jitsi handle jack audio?
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

folderol wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:41 pm Does jitsi handle jack audio?
Never tried, maybe with Firefox compiled with JACK support?
With a PulseAudio bridge should be ok though, you can route jack clients through it.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

LAM wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:44 pm
With a PulseAudio bridge should be ok though, you can route jack clients through it.
Hmmm. Pulse audio is banished here with extreme prejudice. I was thinking of using Vivalidi (chromium based).
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

folderol wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:58 pm
LAM wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:44 pm
Hmmm. Pulse audio is banished here with extreme prejudice. I was thinking of using Vivalidi (chromium based).
https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse connected in Firefox on my Ubuntu bastard (https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz04fossadog.html) although with jittered sound quality but so did alsa so probably hardware related error. Worst case it's incompatible with Jitsi's protocols.

Brave (chromium) seems to work also (with alsa), slightly better audio device selector menu than Firefox
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I had to give up with my laptop. It didn't see any audio at all, yet everything else seems able to, and Zoom will actually give a choice of the laptop's internal sound and a USB unit.
On my desktop machine, which has no camera, it couldn't pick up the hardware audio, but picked up my KA6. Unfortunately the only mic I have that fits has a very low output, so it was all fun and games. Still, nice to have a bit of a chat - and put a few more names to faces :)
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

folderol wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:35 pm I had to give up with my laptop. It didn't see any audio at all, yet everything else seems able to, and Zoom will actually give a choice of the laptop's internal sound and a USB unit.
On my desktop machine, which has no camera, it couldn't pick up the hardware audio, but picked up my KA6. Unfortunately the only mic I have that fits has a very low output, so it was all fun and games. Still, nice to have a bit of a chat - and put a few more names to faces :)
thanks for the effort, sorry about the tech resistance, there's a Jitsi desktop app also that may pick up the audio better than the browsers. I got thrown off every fifth minute at least no matter which browser or OS they ran on, speculating had something to do with 4G hotspot data. Ended up on the Jitsi Android app which was stable.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

Americanians of the west over yonder, if this message from the old continent reaches you in time do check in and see if there's anyone joining from within your timezone vicinity.

One USer did show before bedtime over here and came by after Lord of Ardour @unfa had spread the word on Mastodon.

Wishing everyone everywhere a nice weekend.

Thanks for the chat tonight, good to see you all and new faces and voices again as well.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am trying to figure out a loop 'bot' to test audio settings in the meeting room.
@Rainmak3r would you be aware of a simpler webrtc'd method to solve this? There needs to be a connection from Jitsi to a software looper of some sort and back again. Possibly running from a cloud instance somewhere so I don't need a full jacked up client running from here.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

the dev status report @rghvdberg mentioned:

Not on the same page
by Mathieu of https://lutris.net
http://mathieu.comandon.org/not-on-the-same-page
The disconnect I feel between what I want to deliver in what I build and what the users asks for is now too big to ignore. In some way, I already knew it would be the case before I even started Lutris. I knew that what I was trying to achieve wasn’t in line with how Linux users usually behave…

....Cohesion is one of the bigger problems about Linux, it has been for a while. When a community of users take pride that their system is “about choice” and everyone has a different opinion on what it is to build an OS correctly, it’s unlikely that this community would be united and go on the same direction.

....One of the things you hear often in the Linux world goes like “you don’t need to be a developer to contribute to open source, you can also report bugs”. It turns out that having people reporting “bugs” while there no one to fix them creates more noise than it helps the project. Especially when users start treating the bug tracker like it’s their Amazon wish list.

...I built that project hoping that I would eventually get help from some more senior developers. Senior developers don’t appear out of thin air either. I’m not too worried. I dog food on an almost daily basis. If anything was insanely broken, I would go and fix it. But with Lutris itself becoming more stable, the issues keep getting weirder, and I don’t want to keep up with all the funky ways someone can break their Linux desktop by thinking they know better than OS engineers.

...While I’m basically ghosting the incoming Github issues or PRs, I remain open to talk about the future of the project. But if you are here to talk about how League of Legends has problems running on your Void Linux + i3 desktop, then I’ll just say “sucks to be you”.
https://linuxunplugged.com/399 interviewed him as a follow-up
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

• Vital synth -- graphics and audio loads on older hardware
  • VCVRack also has this issue
  • MX44 -- not working in Ubuntu Studio. @jujudusud has started a thread about it.
  • How can Linux deal with sample formats? The de-facto standard is the locked down and proprietary Kontakt. How can Linux have orchestral sample packs without Kontakt?
  • @rghvdberg showed us Drops, Ninjas2, and the new one -- Boomer. Looking good, except for the file dialog in Drops, but I think we can let him off with that :)
  • Most people use QjackCtl -- it allows JACK pretty-names and port ordering.
AOCB : The quote in my signature comes from a documentary made by Adam Curtis about how the modern world got into the state it's in. It's on Youtube here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHFrhIAj0ME

"We're stuck in a traffic jam."
"No, we're part of a traffic jam."
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:44 am
Fmajor7add9 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am trying to figure out a loop 'bot' to test audio settings in the meeting room.
@Rainmak3r would you be aware of a simpler webrtc'd method to solve this? There needs to be a connection from Jitsi to a software looper of some sort and back again. Possibly running from a cloud instance somewhere so I don't need a full jacked up client running from here.
The simplest way is to to start a Chrome/Chromium instance with fake devices and have that join the session. This will use a fake webcam (an animated image) and fake audio (a synthetic pong sound) being sent, so if that browser joins your room you should see and hear something.

You can do that by launching Chrome with additional arguments:

Code: Select all

--use-fake-ui-for-media-stream --use-fake-device-for-media-stream --user-data-dir=/tmp/fakechrome --no-first-run
The first ones are the important bits, while user-data is there to ensure you open the browser with a different profile (otherwise your regular one is used and I think fake devices are not used, since Chrome has already started).

That's simple enough to launch on your own machine, but if you want a true "bot" that's maybe launched from a server, you can use a headless instance of Chrome for the job, which is done often for the purpose of load testing as well. If you want something more lightweight, it can be done using stacks like GStreamer's webrtcbin, Pion or aiortc, but in that case you have to programmatically take care of the signalling yourself (in your case, figure out the messaging needed to join a Jitsi room as a regular participant would), which can be the opposite of trivial.

Not sure if Jitsi has some automated mechanisms to do the same, as I know many people working there but I'm not familiar with the tool itself (I use it rarely since I'm busy working on Janus most of the times), but what I wrote above should be fine no matter the tool.
Last edited by Rainmak3r on Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.