Fmajor7add9
Established Member

LNXMuSCNS video meet / March 27th 6pm GMT / You are invited and most welcome

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

#Video meet
#March 27th 6pm GMT
#time-zone-converter
You are invited and most welcome

to meet and talk and chat about anything Linux audio related.

Join at fairmeeting.net/alinuxmusiciansvideomeeting. Generously hosted by fairkom in Austria.

Platform is Jitsi and rather straightforward. RTFM at jitsi.github.io/handbook if you want. Reply below if anything doesn't work out at your end.

This thread is posted to spread the word and keep track of any notes and shares that may come up. There's also a shared agenda scratchpad open (no login req.) at framapad.org/p/lnxmuscns.meet.

This will be the 4th linuxmusicians.com video meet organized on @briandc's initiative.

Here are some bullets from last week's talk and some from the one preceeding last.
Last edited by Fmajor7add9 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
LAM
Established Member

Re: LNXMuSCNS video meet / March 27th 6pm GMT / You are invited and most welcome

Post by LAM »

@Fmajor7add9,
very well!
Connections problems permitting, I'll be there.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Re: LNXMuSCNS video meet / March 27th 6pm GMT / You are invited and most welcome

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

There will be no awkward pauses as usual

But should brief radio silence occur while everyone gather their wits I'm gonna put on a random track from Original Scores & Recordings - LinuxMusicians
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I think it's the third meeting.. -But who's counting, right? :D

Anyway, everyone's welcome!

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

briandc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 am I think it's the third meeting.. -But who's counting, right? :D
I am :) This was in an age before bullet points minutes posts with fancy inline links. So your ditsy counting is forgiven like Pulseaudio.

I shall never forget the stormy night @d.healey and I met and he told me about sampling eastern European orchestras and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karplus%E ... _synthesis (IIRC, or some other future machine to replace physical sampling)
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 am [I shall never forget the stormy night @d.healey and I met and he told me about sampling eastern European orchestras and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karplus%E ... _synthesis (IIRC, or some other future machine to replace physical sampling)
Good times, and I learned about Jamulus :)
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I'll try to be there
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I'm already late for this week and the meeting time is 2:00pm for me and I can't make it work today but I would really like to aim for next weeks meeting. Have a good one!
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

I spent an hour testing old phone headsets with built-in mics earlier today. Great hour, they worked fine on test laptop. Switched over to main laptop 15 minutes before meet. No sound. Then discovered Firefox Jitsi couldn't find any alsa sources (AFAIK, on FossaDog). Chromium install failed with some snap mumbojumbo. Brave (Chromium fork) saw the mic but refused to use it.

Ended up on Jamulus OS (Ubuntu Studio) booted from slow USB 2. Still couldn't get any headset mic sound in through laptop or docking station jack socket. Sent out a horrible noisy signal from crap built-in laptop mic. So a mixed night for me.

Noticed Daniel having sound issues as well and a few others dropping in and out briefly. I'll look around for a Jitsi test server somewhere to prepare and sound check.

But always enjoyable to meet and hear your stories and tech talk. Very nice with more and new faces joining also.
GMaq wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:20 pm meeting time is 2:00pm for me and I can't make it work today but I would really like to aim for next weeks meeting. Have a good one!
Hope so. We do run them late though, easily 3 hours+, I'll add that to next invite for any late comers.

If you wanna do a AV Linux theme hour when next release is due I'm all in.
Like an Q&A with screen sharing thing. Ending with you sharing just one more thing. Something shiny we'd never imagined.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

That was fun to put some faces to names and to hear some actual voices from across the pond. I will definitely check in on future meetings, outdoor recreation schedule permitting. :)
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Thanks everyone for the meeting last night! It's always fun to hear from others--what they're creating, how they do it, issues they're having, etc..

A suggestion was made that the meetings take a more formal structure, with specific topics to be laid out for the following meeting. While I fully understand the desire to structure the meetings, I do feel that a part of the fun of coming together is that there is a spontaneity to it that would be lost if specific topics are to be held to. I'm all for hearing from people about what they'd like to bring to the table; but I would also like to keep some time available for anyone and everyone to share whatever's on their minds.
I guess what I'm saying is, could we keep an informal, "cafè-like atmosphere" rather than a "conference atmosphere," --- while at the same time encouraging people to think of and prepare things they'd like to discuss..?

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@briandc,
I agree, we can have one or two main topics for the meeting (this would be something to keep the discussion steady), but there is always space for free topics to come out, as it happens every time, especially with @rghvdberg. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I am a chatty person yes
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

briandc wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:47 am I guess what I'm saying is, could we keep an informal, "cafè-like atmosphere" rather than a "conference atmosphere," --- while at the same time encouraging people to think of and prepare things they'd like to discuss..?
Yes we can :)

If I follow up on the more conferenced approach I'll announce it as such and at another time slot than the Sat café. I think most threads here could easily be discussed for an hour or so.

One thing to consider for the café talk is how many people it can sustain at one time in the Jitsi room where we're sort of bound to listening to one person at a time (and can't switch to brief casual side-man/woman banter inbetween as is often the case at the analogue café). Let's see how it goes.

Could also be fun with a listening party where we go through some of the made-on-Linux tunes shared here and have the creators tell us some liner notes on production and such.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

rghvdberg wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:38 pm I am a chatty person yes
your coherent and happy chatting was a pleasure to listen to both on the tech and more human related aspects.

Some of your blurps from the Jitsi meet chat copied below for readers here.
https://soundcloud.com/rghvdberg/rghvdb ... -challenge
https://github.com/rghvdberg/OSC96_Nabla
Project files for One Synth Challenge 96
Linux Mint 18 with KX Studio repositories
Ardour 5.6
vitalium
Spectral warping wavetable synth (LV2)
https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins
just scroll down 😃
https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects ... linuxaudio
Louigi Verona: Linux Audio: An overview
29 January, 2017
Although I have written a bit about Linux Audio and even spoke about it, I did not have anything that can be used as an overview, especially for those who consider switching to Linux, and are trying to find out what to expect. Until now!