Re: A linux musician's video meeting?

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

d.healey wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:08 pm
hope to see you again next time
Michael Willis wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm
merlyn wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:18 pm
briandc wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm
Basslint wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:38 am
Thanks for the chat, enjoyed that a lot.

Rest of world:
be aware that you missed vital in-depth discussions about:
  • how to choose and setup a Linux audio OS
  • booting the OS into RAM and compressed frugal installs
  • keeping vintage synth software going
  • Harrison Mixbus (thanks for the demo Greg and AV Linux)
  • VNC remote control
  • adding multiple soundcards to jack via alsa_in (resampled, as explained by merlyn)
  • de-humming static noise from PCI soundcard
  • online music collaboration in real time (Sonobus, Jamulus)
etc
etc

To be repeated next Sat., same time and place for now, negotiable as suits.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:29 pm
d.healey wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:08 pm
hope to see you again next time
Michael Willis wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm
merlyn wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:18 pm
briandc wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm
Basslint wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:38 am
Thanks for the chat, enjoyed that a lot.
You'd be welcome if I actually could join but I couldn't! :lol: Maybe next time.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:29 pm
be aware that you missed vital in-depth discussions about:
  • how to choose and setup a Linux audio OS
  • booting the OS into RAM and compressed frugal installs
  • keeping vintage synth software going
  • Harrison Mixbus (thanks for the demo Greg and AV Linux)
  • VNC remote control
  • adding multiple soundcards to jack via alsa_in (resampled, as explained by merlyn)
  • de-humming static noise from PCI soundcard
  • online music collaboration in real time (Sonobus, Jamulus)
etc
etc

To be repeated next Sat., same time and place for now, negotiable as suits.
These are all super interesting topics, damn me to have miss this! :(

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

Basslint wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:43 pm You'd be welcome if I actually could join but I couldn't! :lol: Maybe next time.
I'm so sure we've met it could become a common truth. If not, pardon me for not connecting the right avatars here with those in the meet last night :)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:59 pm
Basslint wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:43 pm You'd be welcome if I actually could join but I couldn't! :lol: Maybe next time.
I'm so sure we've met it could become a common truth. If not, pardon me for not connecting the right avatars here with those in the meet last night :)
I don't have an avatar here on LM but you are raising an interesting issue - identification. Now, if I ever join I will surely say "hey, it's me" on here but anybody could claim to be anybody else...I guess the only way around that would be to implement the videochat here on LM, so that it uses the same login credentials.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

I think it was Italy as location setting on the user name that threw me off as briandc is also listed as such.

I am however, on your note re. identity federation and features, after getting involved in very active facebook groups with instant troubleshooting, nicely structured in threads and sub-threads, getting a bit impatient with classic legacy phpbb posts like this one right here.

Mentioned it during our Saturday meet as well, inspired by how Jamulus and Sonobus has transformed my music life because you're actually talking togethere or at least have an easy method to meet and talk, besides playing only, or as we do here, read and write each other.

Challenge for both formats is maintaining accessible shared knowledge, either by search or content structure, that supplements RTFM. Haven't yet tried a format where FAQ alike bullet points and key info is easily filtered out for others afterwards.

https://forum.manjaro.org is discourse powered (IIRC or is it discuss?), seems to be reddit-ish with votes up and down plus neat time and sub-thread filtering

Mattermost is some kind of Slack FLOSS not evil twin, haven't tried either (test at https://framateam.org or https://cloudron.io/store)

diaspora* Project maybe a better fit, https://diasporafoundation.org/

Or we should pony up as a user community and gather some server money for the projects we use and invite them all in on a yourproject.linuxmusic.org server and give them a space to easily present and host their code and documentation and user generated input from our talks and suggestions. Take all the dev ops burden away from the small teams we rely upon while they keep their freedom to brand their wares as they prefer.

During my Solus stint they switched to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phabricator which impressed me greatly, keeps everything in one database, code - git - bugs - documentaion - forum talk - casual so-me connections.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Thanks @Fmajor7add9 , @briandc and @Michael Willis for an interesting discussion. It was good to meet you!

For anyone who would like to join the video meeting it's happening again this Saturday -- 20th March at 6pm GMT. If the time or day is an issue for anyone let us know and we can see what can be done.

Here's the link for the channel : https://fairmeeting.net/alinuxmusiciansvideomeeting

See you on Saturday!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

What if we used Jamulus for audio chat rather than video chat? So we could use it to organize jam sessions as well, and people who aren't comfortable with video chat wouldn't be left out

briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

The Saturday nite meeting was fun! I would love to participate again this Saturday if that works for everyone. I hope others join in too... even without turning on your webcam if you so choose!

As mentioned, the topics were many, also including some of my current distro gripes and a current "hot topic" of mine: computer burnout!

So feel free to jot down anything you'd like to discuss and we'll try to fit it in! Flexibility is key!

Saturday at 6 GMT!

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Basslint wrote:What if we used Jamulus for audio chat rather than video chat? So we could use it to organize jam sessions as well, and people who aren't comfortable with video chat wouldn't be left out
Video chat also allows screen sharing. It was good to see other people's setups demonstrated, e.g. Fmajor7add9 demoed AVLinux MX edition which is looking good and I got a better idea of what it is like than a screenshot can give. It would be possible to use the video channel audio only if someone wants to do that.

Jamulus has been highly recommended and a Linux Musicians jam on Jamulus would be good. That could be in addition to the video meeting.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

merlyn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:54 pm
Basslint wrote:What if we used Jamulus for audio chat rather than video chat? So we could use it to organize jam sessions as well, and people who aren't comfortable with video chat wouldn't be left out
Video chat also allows screen sharing. It was good to see other people's setups demonstrated, e.g. Fmajor7add9 demoed AVLinux MX edition which is looking good and I got a better idea of what it is like than a screenshot can give. It would be possible to use the video channel audio only if someone wants to do that.

Jamulus has been highly recommended and a Linux Musicians jam on Jamulus would be good. That could be in addition to the video meeting.
@Basslint

TLDR:
Jitsi for video, Jamulus for audio is straightforward.
We can create our own free Jamulus server if needed.
EU jammers can jam in sync, rest of world can listen in awe.

----

Both are widely used on some of the public Jamulus servers, with video on Jitsi and audio on Jamulus. Could be a bandwidth issue for some perhaps.

https://koord.live provides a free as in beer swallowed in freedom Jamulus server for 2 hours. It's Amsterdam and London based in EU IIRC. So there's an easy option to meet with somehow synced audio as well. I reckon the server can keep both north and south EUans in reasonable sync. Rest of world can play along but if they do it will reach us with a 100ms+ latency.

Jammers can Jamulus jam, talkers can chat in the fairmeeting jitsi room. Everyone could jack wire up both outputs to their headphones and listen in wherever they like during the meet.

There's a great great well-organized Wednesday evening jam in London btw. If I have time tmrw evening I'll announce it in another thread here and try to set up a https://koord.live Jamulus server test run as well. I uploaded a client experience demo elsewhere:
Fmajor7add9 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:15 pm A dark and stormy night on Jamulus:
https://youtu.be/dxTE3rEPils
The koord server record the sessions by default, files are available in wav and mp3 format afterwards. For a more studio session alike real time collab session for a few users only https://sonobus.net beta is multichannel capable. The stable release is 3 x 2 stereo in and out only IIRC. But I have no idea how practical such a session would be.

http://jamtaba-music-web-site.appspot.com/ and the Ninjam forks also an option if some would like to overdub others tracks and vice versa, not in real time though.
Last edited by Fmajor7add9 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

merlyn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm Thanks @Fmajor7add9 , @briandc and @Michael Willis for an interesting discussion. It was good to meet you!

For anyone who would like to join the video meeting it's happening again this Saturday -- 20th March at 6pm GMT. If the time or day is an issue for anyone let us know and we can see what can be done.

Here's the link for the channel : https://fairmeeting.net/alinuxmusiciansvideomeeting

See you on Saturday!
Likewise, enjoyable and educational to pick your Linux audio brainwaves.

Your i3 (WM) made me think. Makes a lot sense for audio when you know your toolset and don't need to drag windows around to place them just right or click 50 times to highlight some interface. Would love to see more of that in action and how you organize the workspaces.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Fmajor7add9 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:42 pm
merlyn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm Thanks @Fmajor7add9 , @briandc and @Michael Willis for an interesting discussion. It was good to meet you!

See you on Saturday!

Likewise, enjoyable and educational to pick your Linux audio brainwaves.

Your i3 (WM) made me think. Makes a lot sense for audio when you know your toolset and don't need to drag windows around to place them just right or click 50 times to highlight some interface. Would love to see more of that in action and how you organize the workspaces.
Agreed! Fast workflows are something I need to learn more about!

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
sprock
Established Member

Post by sprock »

I don't know if I can make it tonight but I have one question:

Does fairmeeting work well with Firefox or is it as with some other video chat platforms (MS Teams, Webex) that I would have to use a Chromium based browser? (Would have to install that first since I only use Firefox on my main computer.)
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I used Firefox and it worked.