Penguin Producer Redesign

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

jonassmedegaard

Re: Penguin Producer Redesign

Post by jonassmedegaard »

I think you should seriously consider reviving the old articles - you have created a strong brand with those, and even if outdated people will still find them in various search enginges - if the content is kept up, that is.
archive.org is nice for those who already know an address and can then dig deeper for it, but search engines will not automatically reroute to archive.org (as far as I am aware).

With your idea of using Mastodon, you could consider auto-converting the old articles into toots - and then add 302 redirects from their original location to whatever new address they get assigned in your Mastodon instance. I.e. *don't* reuse /Blogs for anything tied to Mastodon.

Heck, even if you don't want to waste your own creative energy into messing with outdated material, you can blog in your shiny new Mastodon about what happened, point to archive.org, and mention that you are open to someone helping revive the material.
It took me quite a bit of searching to stumble upon your post here, and then register to be able to share my opinion - seems you have carefully avoided to share am email identify for yourself.

I might be interested in helping out reviving the old articles - I think they deserve a longer life out in the open.
reteo
Established Member

Post by reteo »

jonassmedegaard wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 pm I think you should seriously consider reviving the old articles - you have created a strong brand with those, and even if outdated people will still find them in various search enginges - if the content is kept up, that is.
archive.org is nice for those who already know an address and can then dig deeper for it, but search engines will not automatically reroute to archive.org (as far as I am aware).

I might be interested in helping out reviving the old articles - I think they deserve a longer life out in the open.
I'd love all the help I can get, to be honest. And not just for renewing the old articles, but also ideas for what to write about. I don't know what will make good topics for articles, and I'm not sure where to look to find them. Heck, I am still embarrassed about the Jamin article... it had been abandoned almost 5 years when I wrote that one. And then, later, it felt like I was putting way more into Blender than other tools.
jonassmedegaard wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 pm With your idea of using Mastodon, you could consider auto-converting the old articles into toots - and then add 302 redirects from their original location to whatever new address they get assigned in your Mastodon instance. I.e. *don't* reuse /Blogs for anything tied to Mastodon.

Heck, even if you don't want to waste your own creative energy into messing with outdated material, you can blog in your shiny new Mastodon about what happened, point to archive.org, and mention that you are open to someone helping revive the material.

It took me quite a bit of searching to stumble upon your post here, and then register to be able to share my opinion - seems you have carefully avoided to share am email identify for yourself.
Have I? I can be reached at reteo.varala@gmail.com, reteo@penguinproducer.com, and lampros@lamprosliontos.com

As for Mastodon, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. I can't afford the kind of hosting plan that will allow me to maintain running daemons, which pretty much rules out ActivityPub servers. So I am probably just going back to WordPress, and use Twitter as the brand's social account (since it's still there).

UPDATE: Wordpress has an "ActivityPub" plugin, which seems to do most of the heavy lifting. It can now be accessed by following @reteo@penguinproducer.com. It'll still be a while before I can add content; right now, I need to spend some time making content to add, and perhaps building up a buffer, but first... I really need to decide where to start.
Lampros Liontos (aka Reteo Varala)

The Penguin Producer - Tips, tricks and techniques for producing multimedia with Linux.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

Found you and https://penguinproducer.com today while searching for fediverse posts.

It's all new to me so I've asked over at https://lemmy.ml/post/59944 for guidance on how to get started.

I want to publish video and audio alongside old school text as well, the fediverse seems perfect and exciting for that. Thanks for the update re. Wordpress ActivityPub and server loads.

On Mastodon I found you at @reteo@mastodon.online and @reteo@penguinproducer.com and @rghvdberg at https://sonomu.club/@rghvdberg, can you invite me to that instance Rob, or is it admin invite only?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

sonomu is invite only
just ask @luka@sonomu.club :-)
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

gonna ping them in advance :-)
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

rghvdberg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:11 pm gonna ping them in advance :-)
as the steady postman I know you are
your deliverance came through
faster than 1998 jack latencies on a bloated Mandrake box
standby for tons of toots