Racism

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, khz, MattKingUSA

jonetsu
Establlshed Member
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Racism

Postby jonetsu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:06 pm

The second animated clip above by user Markus makes me think about an event last week ....

It is about another Markus, also from Germany. Markus Krause. Author of the excellent Tone2 synths.

Tone2 offered a new soundset for their latest Icarus synth.

They called it 'Black Music'.

They had to change the name last week to 'Urban Music'.

jonetsu
Establlshed Member
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby jonetsu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am

In other words, the White doctor pictured above that's going to give an anal inspection to a scared Black guy is a friggingly insulting racist statement. Nothing funny about that.

rghvdberg
Establlshed Member
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby rghvdberg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:18 am

I didn't notice it was a black man and a white man.


Noticing that is obviously racist!

User avatar
sysrqer
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby sysrqer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 pm

jonetsu wrote:In other words, the White doctor pictured above that's going to give an anal inspection to a scared Black guy is a friggingly insulting racist statement.

No, it's really not.
Should white doctors only be seen to be treating white patients? A male gynaecologist cannot treat a woman due to sexism?
Seems like the alternative, if you were desperate to make such a gif, is more racist than what was started with. And what's the metaphor, that white people screw over black people? I think a lot of people would agree.

User avatar
raboof
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Racism

Postby raboof » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:47 pm

The above posts responded to the image in the post at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18877&p=95876#p95822 , but were off-topic there so I split the topic.

User avatar
raboof
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby raboof » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm

rghvdberg wrote:I didn't notice it was a black man and a white man.


Me neither, and I'm convinced it was not 'intended as racism' by the poster.

rghvdberg wrote:Noticing that is obviously racist!


I'm not entirely sure if you are serious here, but I disagree.

It is an unfortunate fact that racism is still present in our society today, both blatant, but also in subtle, subconscious biases and racial stereotypes. Such subtle traces from our history of racism still may sometimes influence our thinking, even if we don't want it to (and certainly don't think of ourselves as 'racist').

Because of that it is reasonable (and not racist) to be extra careful and try to notice it when that happens, and perhaps compensate somewhat.

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby 42low » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:47 pm

rghvdberg wrote:Noticing that is obviously racist!


I'm not entirely sure if you are serious here, but I disagree.

It is an unfortunate fact that racism is still present in our society today, both blatant, but also in subtle, subconscious biases and racial stereotypes. Such subtle traces from our history of racism still may sometimes influence our thinking, even if we don't want it to (and certainly don't think of ourselves as 'racist').

Because of that it is reasonable (and not racist) to be extra careful and try to notice it when that happens, and perhaps compensate somewhat.


I understand rghvdberg. And the fact that it still exists doesn't mean rghvdberg was practising it.

Eventually it's how one looks at it. I look at this image actually as a statement against racism. In that image a black man is helped by a white doctor. There were times that this was totally different and didn't occur. So this image is a good example of how it should/has to/must be.

rghvdberg wrote:Noticing that is obviously racist!

I also really didn't notice. Because it (color) is something that does not come to my mind because it does not concern me. I don't do discrimination, also no positive discrimination.

That said. Now i'm curious how everyone looks at this image....

Image http://www.stanford.edu
Exactly like that other one to me this is "a doctor helping his patiënt". :mrgreen:

(stupid useless discussion. simply stop it)

User avatar
raboof
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby raboof » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:07 pm

42low wrote:I understand rghvdberg. And the fact that it still exists doesn't mean rghvdberg was practising it.


Let me make this clear: I certainly do not intend to accuse anyone in this thread of racism. If my message gave that impression then I apologize.

42low wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:Noticing that is obviously racist!

I also really didn't notice. Because it (color) is something that does not come to my mind because it does not concern me.


Sure, as said, I didn't notice at first either. But I do feel strongly that noticing it and calling it to attention is not racist either.

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby 42low » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:00 pm

raboof wrote:Let me make this clear: I certainly do not intend to accuse anyone in this thread of racism. If my message gave that impression then I apologize.

If you look carefully back at my reaction you will see i didn't quote you in person (deleted name) and only use it for a common massage to not discriminate, neither negative or positive.
I know it was not you naming that image as would it be racisme (so my reaction was not for your ears, so don't feel spoken at please, and no need to apologize).

Racism/discrimination is not good. Neither negative or positive.
I guess we all agree?

raboof wrote:Sure, as said, I didn't notice at first either. But I do feel strongly that noticing it and calling it to attention is not racist either.

Please all think about this;
Calling racisme to attention for sure can be racisme. That is if before attending racisme wasn't an issue which makes attending at it prejudice!
(it clearly was no issue in this case. The "attending" brought in the racial approach)

DEFINITION wrote:racism (rāˈsĭzˌəm)►
Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

And i (i guess we all) hate discrimination in any form so i beg you to please stop this stupid useless topic. I suggest to lock it!

That is/was all i have to say about it.

User avatar
raboof
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Academy Software Foundation: Hollywood relies on Open Source

Postby raboof » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:18 pm

42low wrote:
raboof wrote:I do feel strongly that noticing it and calling it to attention is not racist

Please all think about this;
Calling racisme to attention for sure can be racisme. That is if before attending racisme wasn't an issue which makes attending at it prejudice!


A prejudice is a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience. Pointing out that an image may reinforce a racial stereotype does not express a preconceived opinion on race.

42low wrote:i beg you to please stop this stupid useless topic. I suggest to lock it! That is/was all i have to say about it.


I suppose you may be right.


Return to “Backstage”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests