Jupiter Broadcasting Linux Action Show

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Jupiter Broadcasting Linux Action Show

Post by MattKingUSA »

How many of you are listeners to the Linux Action Show?

-Matt :D

ufug
Established Member

Re: Jupiter Broadcasting Linux Action Show

Post by ufug »

It drives me crazy sometimes (it really could be tightened up to be half as long as it is--it's rambling and has the longest ad segments of any podcast known to man) but that doesn't keep me from listening. Plenty of good Linux tidbits to be heard on LAS.

They tried to do a show a few months back on making music on Linux, but it was quite thin on key concepts (don't quote me, but I recall it being mostly about microphones, Rosegarden and Jamin or something). But they gave it a go and deserve some credit for that--hope they revisit the topic again with an emphasis on some essential projects like KXStudio and this forum, among many others.
listenable at c6a7.org
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

ufug wrote:It drives me crazy sometimes (it really could be tightened up to be half as long as it is--it's rambling and has the longest ad segments of any podcast known to man) but that doesn't keep me from listening. Plenty of good Linux tidbits to be heard on LAS.

They tried to do a show a few months back on making music on Linux, but it was quite thin on key concepts (don't quote me, but I recall it being mostly about microphones, Rosegarden and Jamin or something). But they gave it a go and deserve some credit for that--hope they revisit the topic again with an emphasis on some essential projects like KXStudio and this forum, among many others.
I enjoyed that episode. It was informative. At least they covered the audio production capabilities of linux. I think Noah uses ardour as well.

ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Agreed in the sense that I'm glad they did it. But.

I suppose I come from the point of view as a musician who switched over to Linux for various non-musical reasons and became frustrated by years and years of failing to find cohesive layman's information on setting up a workable Linux recording system. Just getting to the level of where I had been with ProTools Free on OS9 well over a decade ago seemed impossible for the longest time.

I just think that if someone heard that LAS episode who had never recorded on Linux before (including existing Linux users) they would have ended up more confused, not less.

That's a shame because things have gotten SOOOO much better in just the last couple years. Not mentioning things like KXStudio, the variety free or proprietary DAWs (all of which are much stronger than they were just a couple years ago), key learning materials like this forum, LMP or the OSM podcast is just insane. Audio on Linux so much more accessible than it has ever been before and to not feature these entities in an introduction to recording on Linux was a lost opportunity.

(Apologies for the rant, I get a little passionate about it because of how much I struggled with this issue in the past vs. how awesome it is now.)

Why were you asking about LAS though? :lol:
listenable at c6a7.org
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Just curious. I've been listening since 2006 when it was audio only and it was Chris and Brian. But the show is so much better now. That was when las, tllts and lug radio were big. But they produce so much content now. It's just a great website. Tllts is still great and linc was on again last episode. Pretty swate. I wish lug radio would make a come back. Other than their mac books they were great.