Hidden FLOSS gems

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Hidden FLOSS gems

Post by Basslint »

Let's share our hidden gems in FLOSS: libre programs which aren't wildly popular but that you personally have used to a great benefit. Musical or not (it's backstage!). If you can, share the program's name, URL and a personal description (how you used the program and why you recommend it). I'll start!

Semantik: (https://waf.io/semantik.html)

This is what I've always wanted from a mind-mapping program. It's lightweight, largely operable without using a mouse, produces self-ordering mind maps which can also include markup, diagrams, pictures. It can even automatically generate slides!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
nils
Established Member

Re: Hidden FLOSS gems

Post by nils »

https://zim-wiki.org/

"Desktop Wiki". Offline program to write text, notes, lists, basic markup. Image and file attachments. Everything auto-saved as basic text files on each keystroke. Wonderful.

Not sure if this widely known or not, but it has been the main tool of my literal life since 2009.
I use it to write down and organise everything.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

nils wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:35 pm https://zim-wiki.org/

"Desktop Wiki". Offline program to write text, notes, lists, basic markup. Image and file attachments. Everything auto-saved as basic text files on each keystroke. Wonderful.

Not sure if this widely known or not, but it has been the main tool of my literal life since 2009.
I use it to write down and organise everything.
I agree, Zim desktop wiki is truly wonderful. I use it for notes of processes and particularly for saving commands, utilising it nearly every day.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Oh My Zsh for those who are regularly using a terminal (and probably bash).
It makes a lot of things easier like bookmarking folders and jumping directly into them from wherever you are (jump plugin), has a nice auto-completion and can be customized and extended at will to suits your needs.

edit: will definitly try Zim :D
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Funnily enough I found Semantik a few days ago, it's a nice looking program.

I like to use terminal programs, whey they are good enough.

I use Newsboat for my RSS feeds. It's the best RSS feed I've used. It's really simple to add feeds, just paste an url into a config text file. It's very customisable with colours and can even add a background image, I use profiles in Konsole when using terminal programs, that way I can often customise colours and text size especially for that program. This works well in Newsboat. You can even launch Konsole profiles from application menus like GUI apps by using the command: konsole -e "profile name"

For e-mail, I use neomutt. I set it up with Mutt Wizard. There is a learning curve to using it but it's super quick when you get used to it.

Both above are in ubuntu repositories.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

https://old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... s_here_is/

This reddit post contains some very interesting programs which I did not know about, like QOwnNotes :wink:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Another note taking program, because I like them: rnote

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

PetScan (repo) allows deep Wikipedia searching (such as cross-category search)

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Underrated platform for video conferencing: EduMeet (free server). Works better than Jitsi Meet on bad Internet connections, in my experience.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Since I shared quite a few mind mapping tools already, here's one which I immensely liked and that I am probably going to use a lot in the future: Minder. I can describe it as a mix of the simplicity of Semantik and the advanced features of Freemind. It exports to a bunch of formats (including org-mode), is well maintained and maps are very customizable. Probably the best I've tried so far!

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Several, honestly...
Midnight Commander, for the FTP and the deep-impact jobs on the system...
nmon, top and iftop, for system monitoring (I even have a separate desktop for theseà
I live ont he console if there's no music to be made :wink:
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Cool tool for organizing knowledge: Logseq. It's a bit like Zim, if you ever used it.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Markdoc is to Markdown what SASS/SCSS is to CSS. Absolutely great!