Forum, or, daycare center?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

slowpick
Established Member

Forum, or, daycare center?

Post by slowpick »

Instead of locking a thread, if there is a clear rules violation, give any
offender a one week ban, not a permanent one. People here can vigorously argue
various positions, gaining at least an understanding of other peoples
viewpoints. Grown men can handle an occasional incorrect accusation, or
'artistic content', as was the case on the Studio 1337 announcement topic.

If you habitually lock such threads, you'll be left with a day-care center,
with grownups spending more of their time elsewhere.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Re: Forum, or, daycare center?

Post by MattKingUSA »

Hey, I've not been on the board for a while 27 days! But I agree with your post. I'm not sure who locked what post but in general I agree with your thoughts. So, mark me down for being in favour.

-Matt :D

slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

I see You and Nathan are shown as admins in your posts, if there are others with
moderator privileges, it would be good if that title was also on public posts.

Hope your absence was due to vacation, $$$, or other nice things. :)
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

MattKingUSA wrote:I'm not sure who locked what post
I'd say that was Nathan, as he commented about it.

Personally I'm not a big fan of moderation in principle (I have never moderated a post here, just removed spam and sent private messages when I felt a user was needlessly causing bad vibes).
slowpick wrote:Grown men can handle an occasional incorrect accusation, or 'artistic content', as was the case on the Studio 1337 announcement topic. If you habitually lock such threads, you'll be left with a day-care center, with grownups spending more of their time elsewhere.
That may be so, but on the other hand if more threads degenerate like some parts of the OOM and Studio1337 threads, you'll find people like myself will be spending more of their time elsewhere.

I come to this forum for my enjoyment in my spare time. I really love the pleasant atmosphere of discussing the linux audio world (both technically and 'culturally'). I'm not afraid of disagreement at all, but when things get nasty like in some recent instances it's just no fun at all.

I am not against (some) stricter moderation (though I think I'd prefer redacting/removing posts over locking threads and banning users).
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I vote for ignoring as much as possible. It's one of the best methods against trolls.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

My absense was actually due to moving! BTW I agree with everything being said here. It's usually best to deal with every situation independently. Otherwise it would be easy to create a restrictive atmosphere on the forum. I trust that Nathan uses perfectly reasonable consideration before taking extreme measures with things involved on the site. And I know he takes as much time and consideration when selecting moderators. My least favorite thing is when someone flags a post as spam that is simple something they don't agree with hahaha That's a misuse of forum tools I think and creates unnecessary work for moderators. Moderating should be 99% spam removal anyway.

-Matt :D

nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I've only ever locked that one thread. Studio32, you're right on in your approach, IMHO.

At this point, I don't have time to run a daycare center, you're right :) So I'm going to have to take the position that if a member can't act like a mature, responsible adult, they'll have to find a babysitter somewhere else :)