Future of LinuxMusicians?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

steevc
Established Member

Re: Future of LinuxMusicians?

Post by steevc »

Getting back to the spammers, what do we know about them? I see that the registration form has 3 different fields that try to block bots. I don't know how good the bots are these days. Is it likely to be humans registering?

I did a quick search on phpbb + spam and it looks like plenty of people have this problem. I'm on a few other boards where I hardly ever see spam, but they are on other platforms. I don't know if this is due to better anti-spam or just very vigilant admins.

Is it viable to have a couple of extra admins, in different time zones, who can suspend or kill spam accounts as they see them? This would at least reduce the annoyance for others.

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

Excds
Established Member

Post by Excds »

steevc wrote:Getting back to the spammers, what do we know about them? I see that the registration form has 3 different fields that try to block bots. I don't know how good the bots are these days. Is it likely to be humans registering?
It's not likely that humans are registering those. A human would never have registered users at my test forums, it's far too obvious that it was only a test. My guess it that they have a bunch of bots looking around for standard forum sites and autocreate users to spam the hell out of us users.
Ever noticed something?
Unix comes with compilers.
Windows comes with solitaire.
lintlicker
Established Member

Post by lintlicker »

Is it hard/expensive to use recapctha? (or however it's spelled)
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I presume there are not many real users registering per day. So the easiest way with 100% security to get rid of the bots would probably be, that new user's 1 or 2 posts will only be posted after a mod/admin had a look at it.

this + newest forum software, and all problems are solved
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

steevc wrote:Is it likely to be humans registering?
I'm pretty sure at least some of the spammers are actual humans. In the 'top 10 musicians' topic, there were 2 spam posts that had perfectly plausible lists, except that the artists where collected from previous posters with varying tastes :).
lintlicker
Established Member

Post by lintlicker »

I dunno maing, those darn spam-bots get smarterer every day. If anyone's personally sending random spam, they're doing it wrong.
JeanK
Established Member

Post by JeanK »

About the page planetlinuxmusicians: I hope it coud have the stress on both words and more on the latter. Stories like setting up a Linux studio or how to -instructions are great and make things easier for many of us. But making music with iPad -– or trying to do so -– it does'nt give anything for a musician who uses Linux. Hack a day -gadgets may be ingenious, but often they don't have much to do with music making. And music that is presented -- could there be all kinds of genres? I have not heard anything else than from ambience-trance-hiphop-direction. Sorry if I'm mean and traitorous, but I find it mostly dull. There must be many more styles among music made with Linux.

JK
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

JeanK wrote:But making music with iPad -– or trying to do so -– it does'nt give anything for a musician who uses Linux.
I see 2 articles mentioning the iPad on the planet right now: the '2011 in Review: CDM’s Top 30 Most Popular Stories' post and the 'Lovely Christmas Songbook for iPad, Built with Open Source Scoring Tools' post.
Both are there because they have been tagged 'Linux' at Create Digital Music. I think the signal/noise-ratio is still pretty good there.
Hack a day -gadgets may be ingenious, but often they don't have much to do with music making.

For Hack a day we subscribe to 'digital audio hacks' tag. Maybe this is all a bit too lowlevel for us. What do others think? Should we drop this feed?
And music that is presented -- could there be all kinds of genres? I have not heard anything else than from ambience-trance-hiphop-direction. Sorry if I'm mean and traitorous, but I find it mostly dull. There must be many more styles among music made with Linux.
If you find any feeds presenting other kinds of music made with linux let me know, I'll add them.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

JeanK wrote:There must be many more styles among music made with Linux.
Unfortunately no. Linux audio is one of the smallest niches ever to face the earth. There are so little people using Linux to make music and very little among those who actually blog about it.

Best,

Jeremy
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

AutoStatic wrote:
JeanK wrote:There must be many more styles among music made with Linux.
Unfortunately no. Linux audio is one of the smallest niches ever to face the earth. There are so little people using Linux to make music and very little among those who actually blog about it.

Best,

Jeremy
indeed, sometimes it seams there are more programers than users
shimpe
Established Member

Post by shimpe »

This year i'm trying to start a blog about music (a new year, new good intentions ;) ).
All my music is made (or at least typeset and postprocessed) using linux tools (things like lilypond, audacity).
Also both my multitrack recorder (roland boss br600) and video camera (panasonic sd20 avchd) can simply be mounted as usb sticks in linux.

There's not a lot of content yet (although it links to my youtube page, which has a playlist with music i wrote - creative commons license). I'm still trying to decide on a good direction for the blog to evolve into... but one thing's for sure: it's not likely to feature much hiphop/trance/ambient stuff.

http://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com

I wouldn't mind being added to the feed list.
shimpe
Established Member

Post by shimpe »

And while we're on the subject of the planet.linuxmusicians feed: It seems to generate invalid .rss at the moment, getting my feed reader in trouble...

For what it's worth: the problem seems to be in the entries from homerecording.be, where the posts contain "non-breaking space characters"  

Those   are valid in html, but not valid in xml. Inside XML (and rss) one should use   instead. Could this be fixed somehow please? Either by tweaking the rss generation (replacing all   with   or at homerecording.be's side)

http://changelog.ca/log/2006/06/12/maki ... s_and_atom

edited to add: if you cannot see the differences between the different whitespace characters in a feed reader: they are visible on the forum itself.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

shimpe wrote:I wouldn't mind being added to the feed list.
It'd be nice to have a 'linux' tag that I could subscribe to, but I'm not sure blogspot allows filtering feeds by tag. For now I added all of it.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

shimpe wrote:the planet.linuxmusicians feed: It seems to generate invalid .rss at the moment, getting my feed reader in trouble...
Odd - while I agree this is invalid, this seems to be a common problem, so I expected most readers to accept this.
For what it's worth: the problem seems to be in the entries from homerecording.be, where the posts contain "non-breaking space characters"  
Yeah, looks like it. If anyone has some time to look into fixing this in rawdog and/or dropping the guys at homerecording a note, be my guest ;)! I'm not available for this right now...
shimpe
Established Member

Post by shimpe »

raboof wrote:
shimpe wrote:I wouldn't mind being added to the feed list.
It'd be nice to have a 'linux' tag that I could subscribe to, but I'm not sure blogspot allows filtering feeds by tag. For now I added all of it.
Thanks! In the mean time I noticed that the video bar pointing to my youtube videos pointed to something else instead and I've corrected it so that on average the blog becomes more relevant in this list :D

Filtering blogspot rss based on tags is possible using the following syntax:

http://your-blog.blogspot.com/feeds/pos ... /-/tagname

so in this case:

http://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/fe ... lt/-/linux