Chat Forum

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike_blackstock
Established Member

Post by mike_blackstock »

raboof wrote:
studio32 wrote:##linuxaudio is at freenode....
irc.freenode.net
In other words, use:

http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fre ... linuxaudio
Thank you - that's all I needed!

Incidentally, nice job on the planet page. I'll link to it from my own page.

Cheers,
Mike
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Ah so it works? Now there should be a link on this website to it...
mike_blackstock
Established Member

studio32 wrote:Ah so it works? Now there should be a link on this website to it...
Yep it seems to work - I got connected, there's about 10 people in the channel
but nobody's responding or chatting so I dunno what's up.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of irc or chat in general. My interest and what I was
hoping to get into with my original post was real-time collaboration software.
What software is good for that? Well I suggested 'phpfreechat' - the code is available
and it can be easily extended. If you look at the documentation, you'll see it's very
easy to extend it and write your own commands to suit your own project. There's other
collaboration software; i just suggested one possibility cause I'm familiar with it.

So for example if you and I want to collaborate on a webpage and see and discuss
each other's changes in realtime, what's good software for this? Thats'
what I was hoping to get into. If someone has a package they think is
worthy, let me know and I'll install it so we can share it (or any other software package
for that matter - the server here is the standard LAMP stack - the distribution is Centos,
basically a repackaging of RH Enterprise Server).

Also, if I may editorialize: <EDITORIAL>though it might be nice to think of
a nice happy centrailzed comunity, that's not going to happen -
nor is it really desirable. What we can do though is offer options
to people rather than try to coral them. The more options, the
better; we're adults not children. </EDITORIAL>

Cheers,
-Mike
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Yes, we're adults... so we see how important it is to coorporate, in the linux audio world for sure. There are enough segmented little community who are very pleased with eachother... I rather like to learn from other people...

And I don't see the difference between chat and IRC...

You are free to set up what you want... I don't gonna sit in a small and lonely corner of the room....
mike_blackstock
Established Member

[quote="studio32"]Yes, we're adults... so we see how important it is to coorporate, in the linux audio world for sure. There are enough segmented little community who are very pleased with eachother... I rather like to learn from other people...

Um, ok.

Besides irc, can you suggest other realtime collaboration software that we should look at? That's what I was interested in.

As for linux audio, well, I have not the slightest interest in it. I have no desire to record music. In fact, you'll probably find that 99.9% of working classical musicians have no desire to do that either. The emphasis is on 'working' musicians - most orchestral musicians rehearse X amount of hours a week, perform in a couple of concerts, take on a few students, and have no desires to be recording stars. In fact - I'm speaking for myself here but I think lots of people would agree - part of the attraction of music is that it's fleeting and temporary - you enjoy it while it lasts, in the moment. Recording stuff is just a poor substitute for live music. In fact, come to think of it, 'linux audio' may be counter-productive to linux musicians like myself who want to expand the culture of REAL music - that is, live music.

Last time I checked, this was a website called 'linux musicians' and not 'linux audio'.

Ok, cheers - I'm not sure what was meant by the rest of your message about being lonely or something or other. We probably have more in common then differences, so let's not bicker. Actually - don't spread it around yet - I'm dusting off an unused computer here to use as a dedicated linux shell access server so we can all do what we want. Now THAT'S community!!

Cheers,
Miike
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Mike! is that true ? that sounds cool (shell access server!) :):)
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

mike_blackstock wrote:... I have no desire to record music. In fact, you'll probably find that 99.9% of working classical musicians have no desire to do that either. The emphasis is on 'working' musicians - most orchestral musicians rehearse X amount of hours a week, perform in a couple of concerts, take on a few students, and have no desires to be recording stars. In fact - I'm speaking for myself here but I think lots of people would agree - part of the attraction of music is that it's fleeting and temporary - you enjoy it while it lasts, in the moment. Recording stuff is just a poor substitute for live music ...

Last time I checked, this was a website called 'linux musicians' and not 'linux audio'.
I have to give 5 starts to this. Well said.

No wait..

It's all about the tone.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

mike_blackstock wrote:realtime collaboration software
Do you have examples of what kind of stuff you're thinking of?
As for linux audio, well, I have not the slightest interest in it. I have no desire to record music.
Personally, I interpreted the term 'linux audio' a bit broadly, including not only recording but also 'linux musicians' stuff like writing, engraving, live audio processing (e.g. effects), etc..

The fact that the linuxaudio wiki contains a considerable section on music notation editors seems to suggest that they interpret the term broadly, also.

In other words: no need to feel left out when a caption reads 'linux audio', we're not only about producing/recording `canned music' ;).
I'm speaking for myself here but I think lots of people would agree - part of the attraction of music is that it's fleeting and temporary - you enjoy it while it lasts, in the moment.
I couldn't agree more.
mike_blackstock
Established Member

thorgal wrote:Mike! is that true ? that sounds cool (shell access server!) :):)
Yep, for sure. I'll set it up next week and give everybody with an account as much root-type access as possible.

Raboof talked a little about interpreting terms broadly vs. narrowly. that's an excellent point that he made. I think we can all benefit from having a look at 2002 paper by Chomsky, Fitch and Hauser which appeared in the journal Science. They talk about the confusion that arises when someone uses a term in a broad sense and someone else uses the term in a narrow sense. They discuss the term 'language' but their cautions and thoughts on the matter can easily be applied to other terms that are sometimes used broadly and some times narrowly. the PDF is at http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~mnkylab/pub ... yFitch.pdf

Ok, cheers - more on the shell server tomorrow. I'm in a bar right now and can't think straight - strange for a musician huh?

;)

-Mike