merging #opensourcemusicians and #linuxmusicians?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

merging #opensourcemusicians and #linuxmusicians?

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

What about merging #opensourcemusicians and #linuxmusicians on IRC?

to #opensourcemusicians channel?

Are they open for a topic with a weblink to linuxmusicians.com and maybe the new posts messages?
guitarman

Re: merging #opensourcemusicians and #linuxmusicians?

Post by guitarman »

[quote][/quote]

Hi, this is Steve Baer (aka - guitarman) - co-host of the Open Source Musician Podcast and op in the #opensourcemusicians room.

I'm certainly not opposed to the idea - however we do have slightly different focuses.
Our room was created around the podcast, which is not completely Linux centric.
There are people in the room running Ardour, Hydrogen etc, on OSX. Audacity under Windows etc. So I'm not sure how your forum participants feel about that - the focus is quite different. That said, the more the merrier in the room. If a merge is unnecessary, you are certainly welcome to join our channel and most if not all of the people in our room are aware of the #linuxmusicians room - a few have actually come from there.

So in short - I'm easy like Sunday morning. If your users want the rooms linked (I'm actually not sure how this is done in IRC) I can make sure the topic in our room includes the #linuxmusicians forums link etc. It might get a bit hairy - I'm not sure.

Anyone else with thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

welcome \o/
cu
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
kaimerra
Established Member

Post by kaimerra »

I hang out in both channels. :)

#opensourcemusicians usually is more active it seems. I do agree with you Steve that they have different focuses, but are from similar user bases.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

+1.

Indeed the opensourcemusicians' focus is a little broader than just linuxmusicians, but i'd say both channels are so low-traffic that that's unlikely to be problematic.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I'm honestly fine with whatever; I would advise everybody to hang out on both! I am not the maintainer of the LM chat channel, so I'm not sure to link over to #opensourcemusicians, etc. If we want to to consolidate into just one channel, then that may be something the LM community council should decide along with the OSM guys.