Moderation on linuxmusicians.com?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

turbidh20
Established Member

Re: Moderation on linuxmusicians.com?

Post by turbidh20 »

raboof wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:04 amIn my experience trying to capture that in a 'policy' just invites first endless debate about the policy, and then endless debate and complaining about any decision made based on that policy.
This is the heart of the issue. You can't write an (unintentionally) ambiguous policy to manage grey areas.

We have to trust the moderators. If there's a general problem with moderation then a backlash will ensue from the board members and it will become obvious. But as far as I can tell the moderation here is good and I, for one, am happy. This is one of the most peaceful and harmonious forums I've been involved with :)
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

raboof wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:04 am First off, some perspective: I think this forum is doing pretty well! In the last 15 years we have only 'actively' moderated a couple of times (not counting spam), and on the whole mostly people have a good intuition of what's acceptable and where to stop.
I totally agree. This forum is awesome, and +1 to the mods for taking a libertarian approach. This is truly in the spirit of Free Software. And please note that liberty != anarchy. For liberty to work, most of the moderation should be self-moderation. And I think that's what we see here on this forum for the most part. (Maybe not on this particular thread ...)

But for the record, I have laughed out loud at so many comments in this thread! I agree that @j_e_f_f_g went a little too far in at least one of those comments, but I've got to admire his chuztpah and his extremely well-developed sense of irony. (And I might have admired something else if I had opened those pics he emailed me.)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

milo wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:06 pm I totally agree. This forum is awesome, and +1 to the mods for taking a libertarian approach. This is truly in the spirit of Free Software. And please note that liberty != anarchy. For liberty to work, most of the moderation should be self-moderation. And I think that's what we see here on this forum for the most part. (Maybe not on this particular thread ...)
Totally agree, this forum has the spirit of free software. I think I have never found a place on the web that is as accepting as this forum.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Ah yes, this thread is finally done. I'll just wrap it up as so:
jonetsu wrote: Why do you have such stress?
It's related to a war injury. I was engaged in a precarious battle, and there was fighting all around me, I wasn't even sure I was going to survive. The medics were continually carrying away the wounded on stretchers. Somehow I made it out of there, but the memory still haunts me to this day.

Yes, I once shopped at Walmart on Black Friday.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

lad
Established Member

Post by lad »

:roll:
...trying out AV Linux
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 am Yes, I once shopped at Walmart on Black Friday.
It's actually not funny at all. It has a sense of moth'balls' to it. OTOH, I think you were honest when you first mentioned stress relief.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

jonetsu wrote:It's actually not funny at all.
Comedy, like all "artistic expressive endeavors" is completely subjective. So, I'm not about to indulge in some misguided "discussion" that attempts to decide what comedy empirically is or isn't. That would be a complete waste of time with someone like you. (From what I've seen, your debating skills resemble Monty Python's Argument Clinic).)

I'll just note that your "Backstage Humor Thread", which you cite as an example of you engaging in humor, contains no original content whatsoever. It's merely you posting links to other peoples' creative works. That's like someone claiming to be a great composer because) he listened to a recording of Bach.

I remain unconvinced that your opinions on humor contain any authoritive merit.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:18 am I'll just note that your "Backstage Humor Thread", which you cite as an example of you engaging in humor, contains no original content whatsoever. It's merely you posting links to other peoples' creative works. That's like someone claiming to be a great composer because) he listened to a recording of Bach.
Exactly like "which song is coming out of your speakers right now".
j_e_f_f_g wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:18 am I remain unconvinced that your opinions on humor contain any authoritive merit.
I certainly do not make jokes based on sexuality. Which I always found gross. And I do like humour. Monty Python's, Red Dwarf, 'Allo 'allo, Bill Burr, Spitting Image, The Frantics, Les Guignols, Desproges, La Bajon, Dieudonné, George Carlin, a whole lot.

It has to be somewhat intelligent though.