Censorship on linuxmusicians.com?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Censorship on linuxmusicians.com?

Post by studio32 »

something about a post being removed.
Last edited by studio32 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khz
Established Member

Re: Censorship on linuxmusicians.com?

Post by khz »

I don't think this is just gonna get erased. We talk before we delete, except when it's spam.
I didn't catch anything, and I didn't delete anything.
cheers
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Let's assume it's placed somewhere else on the forum board then? ... but I can't find it via my own profile.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Is it explicitly stated anywhere on the forum rules at registration that this forum is "censorship free"? Forums are moderated and administrated for the very fact that information needs to be sorted, evaluated, organized (and yes removed) at times so there will always be an authoritarian structure and the administrator will always have the last word..

I don't blame you for wanting to know what happened to your post, but I don't think there was an implied promise of freedom from your posts being censored (as in edited or removed when deemed necessary).
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:11 pm I did post a howto to build Non-session-manager, people started discussing the new-session-manager in that thread, on which I was critical about. Now that total howto with the discussion just seems to be removed, without any notification.

If this is really just removed, things become creepy in the linuxaudio world and I've no other word then censorship for it. My criticism in the discussion is legitimate and with argumentation. You can't just remove it cause a majority with quite some influence don't like it.

People spend time, discussing these matters. Important discussions. Do you really think it's healthy that such a major fork comes without discussion? So please put it back and if you think the discussion itself should be removed from the howto and placed somewhere else, fine. Then leave the howto where it was and place the discussion with original content somewhere else.

Disagreement is part of life and discussion is needed in a healthy community. Then I won't even start talking about the importance of freedom of speech... which is a human right.
Yes, I removed that thread.

I appreciated the howto on how to build the original NSM from source, that was very helpful and definitely welcome. Also well-argumented criticism is certainly welcome. Unfortunately, in this case it was also laced with name-calling and inappropriate ridicule, from several of the participants in the thread. If you (plural) cannot discuss your criticisms without resorting to insults and smear, then I'm afraid I'd rather be without it.

I commented in the thread calling on the participants to find a friendlier tone, and tried to get the discussion back on track. Unfortunately, after a couple of posts the name-calling (from several sides) resumed, so I figured we were better off without that thread.

I don't know what "majority with quite some influence" you're talking about but I can assure you that was not a factor in my decision.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my moderation decision. Unfortunately such threads are not easily restored, but if you want I can help recover the initial howto later this weekend. PM me if you'd like me to look into that.

As for the criticism of the fork, you're welcome to have another go at putting your concerns about it into words again, but remember it'll have to be quite different in tone compared to the previous thread. I don't have a lot of patience for "people being angry at each other on the internet" these days.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

something following up
Last edited by studio32 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

The new build howto is perfectly fine. I do not feel the need to correct anything this time.
Starting with "I prefer" is all that was ever needed.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

something
Last edited by studio32 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

It's really confusing to me, I have a need not to want to lash out at people and because I value erring towards peace over escalation/continuation, because it's good for mental health, but I also have a need engage to describe the situation for the context of the probably vast multitude more people who are just reading threads, now and later. Edit: I don't things are mutually exclusive.

I also have a need for moderation and the boundaries that somehow entails. Personally I would prefer to go down the path of muting, intervening, giving a second change, and then eventually, if needed, disassociating from (blocking) serial repeat offenders, rather than simply removing the history of what happened, its lesson for others, the opportunity for others to make their own mind up, and to understand what is happening technically and culturally in the LA and wider world.

Removing the post arguably made one issue two issues. Moderation is curation, not in just lopping things off but tending and helping to set the direction of future expectations and norms. Some people can state opinions about reality that don't add up, and engaging back with this in good faith has gotten us to this point. Still, continuing that, if one is speaking in (mostly, I hope) "good faith", it is a jarring action to just have a post removed, with no private follow-up/aftercare/boundary setting communications to all parties involved with overstepping the bounds in whatever ways they did.
Last edited by milkii on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Shupacabras
Established Member

Post by Shupacabras »

This post should be moved to the "Suggestion Box"
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I've been posting here for years, and am responsible for "getting away with" posting some of the most notoriously riot-inducing messages. So, I can give some advice for how to ensure you don't get soiled when you're tossing crap at the fan. You can usually squeak by if you think of some witty, humorous way of expressing your point.

Alternately, offering the moderators oral sex has been known to curry favor. That's not my thing, but it isn't my place to criticize people like Mike Pence for their "choices".

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:41 am I've been posting here for years, and am responsible for "getting away with" posting some of the most notoriously riot-inducing messages. So, I can give some advice for how to ensure you don't get soiled when you're tossing crap at the fan. You can usually squeak by if you think of some witty, humorous way of expressing your point.

Alternately, offering the moderators oral sex has been known to curry favor. That's not my thing, but it isn't my place to criticize people like Mike Pence for their "choices".
Haha, this is true! The banjo players are still livid!! Luckily raboof doesn't play banjo... As far as Pence... too tempting but will leave it where you left it..
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Q: What do you get when you cross a banjo player with the sound of fingernails scraping across a blackboard?

A: Another banjo player.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

once, many years ago, I've build a banjo. 8)
On the road again.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tramp wrote: I've build a banjo
This is something that should be discussed only between you and a catholic priest in the privacy of the confessional.