Board for livecoding and algorithmic music (SuperCollider, Pure Data, ChucK, CSound, etc.)

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Board for livecoding and algorithmic music (SuperCollider, Pure Data, ChucK, CSound, etc.)

Post by Basslint »

Hello,

Livecoding and algorithmic music are a staple of GNU/Linux music-making. It's one of the few fields in which, in many ways, we are ahead of the competition :lol:

I propose a specific board because:
1) There are plenty of such environments which are FLOSS and easily run on GNU/Linux. To mention some: CSound, Pure Data, SuperCollider, ChucK, Nyquist, Overtone, TidalCycles
2) It covers many areas: composition, production, sound design, sequencing
3) It's different from the development of audio software (Developer's Section)

Thoughts?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
J0J0
Established Member

Re: Board for livecoding and algorithmic music (SuperCollider, Pure Data, ChucK, CSound, etc.)

Post by J0J0 »

+1 not because of me personally but I know a person who does stuff like that. supercollider, puredata and csound is words he uses freqyently haha 🙂
LAM
Established Member

Re: Board for livecoding and algorithmic music (SuperCollider, Pure Data, ChucK, CSound, etc.)

Post by LAM »

Add Bipscript to the list ;)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

arifd
Established Member

Post by arifd »

I've used PureData for years and have an affinity for it and its creator (Miller Puckette). If there was a section dedicated to that sort of stuff, I'd watch that board and offer any help when it's needed.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

I'm happy to add the forum to see if it gains traction. If it remains mostly-empty we can always move the posts somewhere else.

In what section do you think it would fit best?
arifd
Established Member

Post by arifd »

Yeah good question, it's not immediately obvious where it should go, and someone who knows one, doesn't necessarily know or care for the other, and this isn't a specific application support forum.

I'm still waiting for my multimedia section :lol:
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

raboof wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 am I'm happy to add the forum to see if it gains traction. If it remains mostly-empty we can always move the posts somewhere else.

In what section do you think it would fit best?
I think it would be suited as a top-level forum in the Software Support & Discussion section, since it doesn't belong to any of the existing boards.

The name would be a bit tricky. The only one which is both correct and complete enough that came up is:

Computer music languages

A longer one would be

Sound design languages and algorithmic composition

but it's, well, long :lol:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

or maybe just 'algorithmic music'?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Live coding
or

Algorithmic composition
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

> Live coding

Refers to a specific kind of live-music making and while it is the more popular term, it is confusing to musicians outside the scene and software like CSound is often used in non-live settings

> Algorithmic composition

Refers only to composition, not sound design

So I would go with the more general "Algorithmic music", because in this case "composition" is replaced with the more generic "music", which also covers sound design and other things :D

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Added both!

LMK if you have any problems (phpBB permissions can be tricky), and if there's any topics we can move there to give them a running start :)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

raboof wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:56 pm Added both!

LMK if you have any problems (phpBB permissions can be tricky), and if there's any topics we can move there to give them a running start :)
Awesome, thanks :D

Edit: @raboof it seems I don't have permissions to for the Algorithmic music board! :?

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

oops, I see what I did wrong - should be better now?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

raboof wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:53 pm oops, I see what I did wrong - should be better now?
Yup, thanks. Topic icons are enabled, is that OK?