Deleted Thread?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

Re: Deleted Thread?

Post by milkii »

Righty o. I would say refering to it as the LM wiki when that title isn't used anywhere else is rather confusing.

That wiki has had registration problems for several months now. No-one was able to create an account or login via OpenID since the hack of the LA site.

Testing it again and the registration process now goes to a screen saying an e-mail has been sent, but I've not received any e-mail.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

milk wrote: Testing it again and the registration process now goes to a screen saying an e-mail has been sent, but I've not received any e-mail.
I get email, but without body, only headers, so not helping :-(

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

milk wrote:Righty o. I would say refering to it as the LM wiki when that title isn't used anywhere else is rather confusing.
As far as I remember we (LM) had collected mainly technical knowledge here in the forum around 2006 - 2008.
We then summarized this in a wiki. Since the wiki of linuxaudio still existed and we IMHO were in contact with them or some of them also participated on LM, we collected our knowledge, all on linuxaudio.
The old forum - the old forum software - was then updated around 2008 whereby the old posts from LM-1.0 got lost or were written thanks to summary on linuxaudio sorted.
After that, around 2008, LM starts from new, without the old contributions.

But raboof could say something about that because I'm not 100% sure of my memory.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

That narrative connects some dots, thank you.

It would be good to revive a "central" knowledge management system of a non-forum sort for Linux audio content, and, as it stands, the LA wiki appears the primary choice for this task.

Who is in control of the LA server? Who has just wiki access and what level of control, or is it just a generic Linux server with no particular 'wiki directory/db admin only users' permissions set up?

I know for sure audiostatic did as their #lad chat was about a list of things to fix in the time after the hack. I guess falktx does, but their recent #lad chat was that they didn't want to touch or spend time on web admin things (and they've just deleted a whole bunch of information..).

What concrete steps need to be taken to get to a point where there is not a blocker in the Linux audio knowledge management area of life?

The second possible option after the LA wiki would seem to be an LM hosted wiki.

How everything relates to each other is opaque so I personally just bypassed having to deal with an apparent lack of initiative/impetus from others by doing by own wiki thing, but I'm happy for any of the content I have collated to be used in whatever way in a new more central system that is specifically about LA.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

khz wrote:
raboof wrote:[...] Indeed forum posts are a bit more ephemeral. I think that's OK and in line with the medium. For long-term knowledge collection/sharing we should be using different tools - though admittedly the ones readily available don't seem great.
For example, the great LM Wiki, which is also a summary of the beginnings of LM, before the forum software change. When did nathan open Forum 1.0? Around 2006? Those were nice times and they are still nice times.

Thank you raboof for your continuous commitment here in the forum!
LM rocks!

And yes, I come from Germany and rather have a negative dialectic due to the influence of German philosophers. But I am a happy person. :-D
I think Nathan started the forum back in 2008. :D He mentioned it on his podcast Productive Linux back then.

"Want to get the most out of Linux? Productive Linux is the podcast for you. Nathan Hale focuses his reviews and tips on useability and productivity. The podcast compliments his blog so check out both to get the full picture. This show is accessible to both new Linux users and old hats."

https://gpodder.net/podcast/productivelinux-mp3

It was a good podcast. :D

-Matt :D

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

IMHO

The forum with the new forum software was founded in 2008.
nathan
Site Admin
Source: viewtopic.php?p=896#p896

Before 2008 there was already LM, where we had discussed mainly technical things concerning Linux and audio, which then flowed into the wiki.linuxaudio. See post.

IMHO
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

khz wrote:IMHO

The forum with the new forum software was founded in 2008.
nathan
Site Admin
Source: viewtopic.php?p=896#p896

Before 2008 there was already LM, where we had discussed mainly technical things concerning Linux and audio, which then flowed into the wiki.linuxaudio. See post.

IMHO

lol, I don't know man. I asked Nathan today and he said he doesn't remember the exact date either but 2008 sounds about right. So not even Nathan knows hahaha. Let's say it was 2006/2008 ish.

-Matt :D

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

^^ Hello nathan :-)