dedicated subforum for foreign software on wine issues

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Re: dedicated subforum for foreign software on wine issues

Post by jonetsu »

khz wrote:
raboof wrote:As there seems to be interest I'd be happy to introduce this subforum.
Does this subforum already exist?
Does it ?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

raboof wrote:Could we identify 10 or so threads that can be moved into it, so we can give it a 'flying start'?
Could we?

If we can't, then I don't think this topic is popular enough to warrants a dedicated subforum.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

raboof wrote:
raboof wrote:Could we identify 10 or so threads that can be moved into it, so we can give it a 'flying start'?
Could we?

If we can't, then I don't think this topic is popular enough to warrants a dedicated subforum.
I do not fully understand the question, or its meaning perhaps. Why ? Because going in 'Plugins, Effects and Instruments' and doing a search for 'wine' will turn at least 10 threads in 2018. And that's just one subforum. And then there's the 'Recorders & Sequencers' subforum. And then 'Samplers & samples'. All of these have enough threads that are not only bare mentions of the word 'wine'.

So I do not understand the question because a couple of simple searches turns out the answer immediately.

Cheers.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

raboof wrote:
raboof wrote:'flying start'?
Could we?
I vote Yea, let's make it happen.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:[

I do not fully understand the question, or its meaning perhaps. Why ? Because going in 'Plugins, Effects and Instruments' and doing a search for 'wine' will turn at least 10 threads in 2018. And that's just one subforum. And then there's the 'Recorders & Sequencers' subforum. And then 'Samplers & samples'. All of these have enough threads that are not only bare mentions of the word 'wine'.

So I do not understand the question because a couple of simple searches turns out the answer immediately.
So why you did not list those 10 threads here? You want admin to do all the work?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote:So why you did not list those 10 threads here? You want admin to do all the work?
That's a joke, isn't it ?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

I'm personally not sure why this is needed? IMO, it's just another plugin format with other runtime libs, and some inherent disadvantages. Should mentioning a windows vst in a discussion about using limiters be off limit for instance? On the other hand it might be useful to have the main threads in a forum for easy access by users.

How about separate forums for lvst & lv2? After all there are various linux hosts that can't do lv2..

After all if you use linux to make/edit/mix music then you are a linux musician no matter what plugin format you do use.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

It would be more about addressing issues specific to using Windows VST in Linux. One can reckon easily that there are more details involved in doing so that running a LV2 plugin. Is a special bridge needed to run LV2 plugins ? Does that special bridge comes with its own configuration options so that you can run LV2 plugins in an optimized way ? Does that LV2 bridge - if it exists - require yet another layer to actually work with plugins ?

It would be more about organization so that people interested in running Windows binaries (if that's not going against the gods, that is) can find topics related to that by browsing topics in a regular easy way as with other subforums without having to do a search and being presented with a search result list instead of plain regular forum browsing.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote:So why you did not list those 10 threads here? You want admin to do all the work?
No, not a joke. Admin has done plenty of work for this forum, and even paid many months of bills. If he asks for identifying suitable threads for creating requested area, I would take it seriously and try to help if I had idea what to move. In fact I listed 4 threads when that was asked. Now you had idea, so could you list suitable threads? Why raboof should do that search, and take a look to threads if they fullfill criteria? I have feeling that listing of minimum 10 threads is what is missing for creation.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

I think the best argument for a subforum (and not just for WINE musicians but any subset of Linux musicians) is that it makes finding support easier. Linus Musicians is an old site with a tremendous number of threads. It becomes difficult searching for help and some users (myself included) don't want to post or read posts about common support issues over and over again. Here is an example: if I type "wine" and "reaper" in the search box [1] above I get over 600 entries. Restricting my search to a single subforum should make finding useful threads easier.

Of course the real question is, are any of the current subforums suited for WINE musicians? The organization of this site is pretty good already and I don't think there needs to be technology-specific subforums, especially since open source projects can die out quickly. Maybe WINE can be part of "Linux Distributions & Other Software"? "Plugins, Effects and Instruments" is for "All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more." Maybe WINE can be part of that more?

My personal belief is that BB forums serve two roles: a source for community dialog and a source for documentation (this later part is why I don't mind thread necromancy. if a relevant thread exists, keep like information together). I generally think carefully about my posts because someone might search for them one day (and sometimes it's me).

NOTE: I am a WINE musician and I this website is usually my first stop for answers.

[1] phpBB search sucks, I know. Use site: <term> in your favorite search engine.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

raboof wrote:Sorry for leaving this topic for such a long time. As there seems to be interest I'd be happy to introduce this subforum.

Could we identify 10 or so threads that can be moved into it, so we can give it a 'flying start'?
Search found 101 matches: wine (titleonly/topics): search.php?keywords=wine&terms=all&auth ... mit=Search

Wine has to do with GNU/Linux^Audio only as an optional extension. Wine is very special (special bridge, own configuration options, ...), VST(3) is not open-source/GNU.
WINE is not compulsory required for GNU/Linux^Audio.

You can also install GNU programs under Windows, the Windows kernel is already a Linux https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/04/mic ... ure-sphere.
Therefore, if I needed Windows VST, I would install Windows with Linux kernel and possibly the required GNU programs https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ubuntu/9nblggh4msv6. So all VST run without any problems and you have the advantages of (GNU/)Linux.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Jack Winter wrote:I'm personally not sure why this is needed? IMO, it's just another plugin format with other runtime libs, and some inherent disadvantages.
Sure. I think it's reasonable to assume there's people who are looking specifically with help around wine on the one hand, and there's people who would rather avoid wine on the other. The existence of this thread suggests there's interest in a separate subforum, and I'm not opposed to creating one.
Jack Winter wrote:Should mentioning a windows vst in a discussion about using limiters be off limit for instance?
It should most certainly not be off-limits. There's always bound to be some overlap, which sometimes can be a reason not to create a new subforum, but in this case it seems reasonable to have it.
jonetsu wrote:
tavasi wrote:So why you did not list those 10 threads here? You want admin to do all the work?
The reason I asked is twofold:
  • As noted above, not all topics mentioning 'wine' are wine-specific enough to go into this topic, so there's some work involved in checking which topics actually should be moved. Perhaps not a ton of work, but nonetheless something I'd appreciate help with.
  • To gauge whether there is enough 'active' interest in having such a subtopic. It's easy to request it here, but this is how we ended up with almost-empty 'Android Audio' and 'Linux Powered Mobile Devices' forums. If no-one could be bothered to identify a couple of topics to be moved, perhaps it wouldn't be such an important subset after all.
So yes, I'm serious, if we can collect a good number of topics to move into this new subsection that would be helpful to me.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

khz wrote:VST(3) is not open-source/GNU.
To nitpick, VST3 plugins can be GPL v3 licensed, VST2 is somewhat in a legal limbo..
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

raboof wrote:'Linux Powered Mobile Devices'
Linux Powered Mobile Devices' is now usable, thanks a lot! (solved)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

raboof wrote:So yes, I'm serious, if we can collect a good number of topics to move into this new subsection that would be helpful to me.
Fair enough. I do not have the time now, but will do by the end of this weekend.

Cheers.