Site was offline for few days

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
sadko4u
Established Member
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Site was offline for few days

Postby sadko4u » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:10 am

Dear admins!
The site was offline due to simple MySQL table crash for about 4 days. This is unacceptable. I think falkTX was able to repair the MySQL table but didn't had direct access to database. I think you should find people who could operatively fix problems.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.

User avatar
sysrqer
Established Member
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby sysrqer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:51 pm

It made me realize what a valuable resource of information this place is.

User avatar
briandc
Established Member
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby briandc » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:18 pm

Me too! Glad to see things back up again here! :)


brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com

User avatar
raboof
Established Member
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby raboof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:40 pm

sadko4u wrote:Dear admins! The site was offline due to simple MySQL table crash for about 4 days.


Yes, that's unfortunately correct. Normally I would've immediately fixed this (it was indeed trivial), but I was away on winter sports with no access to a PC and barely any mobile coverage.

sadko4u wrote:This is unacceptable.


You'll be pleased to hear linuxmusicians.com provides a 100% uptime guarantee! All engineers on our payroll are working round-the-clock to provide this level of service. Following industry standards, you're eligible for a refund of part of your payment when this uptime is not met. Feel free to get in touch and claim your refund!

sadko4u wrote:I think falkTX was able to repair the MySQL table but didn't had direct access to database. I think you should find people who could operatively fix problems.


OK, on a more serious note, it would have been better if this outage could've been resolved sooner. On the other hand, it's quite rare that something goes wrong at this level, and for now this is the most convenient way to set things up.

User avatar
English Guy
Established Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: England

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby English Guy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:17 pm

@Raboof: I would just say a hearty thank you for all you do

GraysonPeddie
Established Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Altha, FL
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby GraysonPeddie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:36 pm

I would like to follow those of you with a Twitter account just in case the site goes down again. At least I let LinuxAudio know what's going on.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.

MGdesigner
Established Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby MGdesigner » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks god!! Linuxmusician site is back.Just worried for days.

User avatar
English Guy
Established Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: England

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby English Guy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:55 pm

GraysonPeddie wrote:I would like to follow those of you with a Twitter account just in case the site goes down again. At least I let LinuxAudio know what's going on.


There is a Linux Musicians Facebook group

GraysonPeddie
Established Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Altha, FL
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby GraysonPeddie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:30 pm

I keep it to just one social media which makes my life easier than following Twitter, Google+, and Facebook separately, but thanks.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.

User avatar
briandc
Established Member
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby briandc » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Thank you for your help reboof! :thumbs:


brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby funkmuscle » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:37 pm

English Guy wrote:
GraysonPeddie wrote:I would like to follow those of you with a Twitter account just in case the site goes down again. At least I let LinuxAudio know what's going on.


There is a Linux Musicians Facebook group


yeah the FB group needs more of you guys there. Dudes ask questions on there and I redirect to here but still don't see the questions here so maybe, nah, if they don't wanna come here, too bad!! :lol:

folderol
Established Member
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Here, of course!
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby folderol » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:12 pm

When we had a similar outage some years ago on Kara-Moon, a few of us got our heads together and composed a little ditty about it. As soon as it was back up and stable, we posted it - to the great delight of the sysadmin.

If you're interested:
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.ph ... 4#msg40364

GraysonPeddie
Established Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Altha, FL
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby GraysonPeddie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:49 am

A song well-done. I enjoyed it.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.

User avatar
sadko4u
Established Member
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby sadko4u » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 am

raboof wrote:
sadko4u wrote:This is unacceptable.


You'll be pleased to hear linuxmusicians.com provides a 100% uptime guarantee! All engineers on our payroll are working round-the-clock to provide this level of service. Following industry standards, you're eligible for a refund of part of your payment when this uptime is not met. Feel free to get in touch and claim your refund!

You don't understand the problem, that's why joking. I'll try to explain.
In our russian segment of network, there was a very popular low-level programming portal.
This portal was supported by three humans that had admin access to the server.
One of them has suddenly died. Two others became inactive, so it lived with his own life until was hacked.
Then, after it was hacked, one of admins has raved about it and has completely closed the resource.
On the request of forum users to give the database of the forum this admin didn't answer anything.
But users have found the rare dump of database (about 4 years old) and have launched the clone of that popular resource.
So now we have a low-level programming resource with information lost for about 4 years.
If you want to something similar happened to linuxmusicians - go on.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.

User avatar
raboof
Established Member
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Site was offline for few days

Postby raboof » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:51 am

sadko4u wrote:In our russian segment of network, there was a very popular low-level programming portal.
This portal was supported by three humans that had admin access to the server.
One of them has suddenly died. Two others became inactive, so it lived with his own life until was hacked.


Luckily we're not hosted on a private machine but on a professional shared hoster (uberspace.de), so if I'd go MIA they could probably arrange something.

sadko4u wrote:Then, after it was hacked, one of admins has raved about it and has completely closed the resource.


An angry admin is always a risk...

sadko4u wrote:If you want to something similar happened to linuxmusicians - go on.


I understand your story and it's really unfortunate what happened there, but I think it's unlikely that something similar would happen here.


Return to “Suggestion Box”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest