transition everything to Discourse

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Re: transition everything to Discourse

Post by Basslint »

bluebell wrote:
Basslint wrote:I haven't read the whole discussion (so apologies) but I actually like that this site does not require javascript and it's very light.

phpBB is free software and it can be easily customized. If looks are the problem (and I would agree on that), that can be easily changed. Take a look at this for example.

The emojis are also awful and dated, and so is BBcode (there is a plugin for Markdown support). I propose (and am willing to contribute as a coder, within my constraints of time and skills) to work on the existing code base instead.
People wanting "a more modern layout" can use a personal userCSS:

- Huge font sizes
- Big "scroll-to-death" spaces
- Hardly readable but beautiful Webfonts
- Maybe it's even possible to include big Javascript libraries to slow down the page rendering. Bonus points if they mine Bitcoins for some hacker sites.
- Random pop-ups getting in your way telling you stories about cookies and new articles

Thinking about what today's webdesigners' "good design" is this version of linuxmusicians.com doesn't look so bad anymore:

http://www.wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesiz ... icians.com
Well, if we are active users here I think we don't mind the looks! It's more about attracting new users.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!