New 'Software support' sub-forums

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

New 'Software support' sub-forums

Post by danboid »

Hi admins!

ATM, within 'Software support' we have 'Recorders and Sequencers', 'Notation Editors' and then 'Linux distros and other software'. I think 'other software' covers quite a lot of stuff that isn't DAWs and notation editors so I'd like to see some new sub-forums added so that everything isn't being filed under 'Linux distros and other software'. I would suggest we have a sub-forum for 'JACK and ALSA' and another for 'Plugins and FX'

Can anyone think of any more common categories of software related discussion that come up often enough to be worth its own sub-forum?
danboid
Established Member

Re: New 'Software support' sub-forums

Post by danboid »

In fact, 'JACK, ALSA, Pulseaudio and other audio subsystems' or something might be a better name for that new sub-forum and the other could be more fully titled 'Plugins, softsynths and FX'

Yes? No?
TheSafePlaces
Established Member

Post by TheSafePlaces »

danboid wrote: In fact, 'JACK, ALSA, Pulseaudio and other audio subsystems' or something might be a better name for that new sub-forum and the other could be more fully titled 'Plugins, softsynths and FX'

Yes? No?
The former is IMHO kind of niche, danboid. I vote for a new 'Plugins, softsynths and FX' sub-forum, and a Troubleshooting/Help,-My-Setup-Isn't-Working sub-forum. The former, because it needs representation and discussion IMHO, and the latter, because about half the things on linuxmusicians are about that, and we all acknowledge that Linux is not an 'everything automagically works' system (although whether it should stay that way or not is a debate for another day), hence a Troubleshooting/setup sub-forum is critical for any Linux community, as of now. It would also increase newbie-friendliness, which is widely acknowledged as a good thing, I've all-too-often been confused where to post for help regarding system setup. :)
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

JACK discussion on a Linux music/audio board is niche? You are kidding me right? There are 100's of threads on here solely discussing various aspects of JACK, ALSA and PA etc. - its part and parcel of our scene.

I do totally agree with you though that there should also be a general 'Troubleshooting' forum. In fact I'd say thats the biggest omission from these forums so excellent suggestion SafePlaces!

Come on admins, lets have a response to our suggestions please! Autostatic, falktx - do you not have rights to add any of these new sub-forums? What do you think about our suggestions?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

JACK discussion on a Linux music/audio board is niche? You are kidding me right?
Jack is not only huge, it is one of the biggest culture shocks to newcomers. Imagine: I am 99% just ordinary listener, but because I came to Linux with a Firewire device, I had to cope with Jack --- and it wasn't easy. Now that I am living with it (courtesy of KXStudio) I can't imagine living without it. It deserves a subforum of its own. Even so, much of the discussion will go on under platforms (eg KXS) with tools that handle it. Forums are like that.
TheSafePlaces
Established Member

Post by TheSafePlaces »

danboid wrote:JACK discussion on a Linux music/audio board is niche? You are kidding me right? There are 100's of threads on here solely discussing various aspects of JACK, ALSA and PA etc. - its part and parcel of our scene.
I haven't been here long so I could be wrong, but when I see a JACK/ALSA/PA thread, it's usually a troubleshooting one, not a discussion per se. ;)
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

JACK and ALSA are ultimately fundamental to everything else we talk about on here- if they don't work its game over so yes you're right that most troubleshooting threads are about JACK and ALSA but in future, if the user has a prob and they're pretty certain it relates to JACK, ALSA, PA etc then they can file it there instead of general Troubleshooting which would be for those more uncertain times.

JACK has a lot of options and a near inifite thing Linux audio users can discuss about it - for the proof see the LA* mailing lists which are very nearly entirely comprised of an endless thread of JACK related conversations. I think JACK needs its own thread because its built into Linux audios DNA and it just seems wrong that we don't already have a dedicated audio subsystem forum, personally. It would prob mainly be only of interest to devs and the hardcore of course.

We seem to agree that a new forum for Plugins, FX and softsynths def. makes good sense, even to non-devs and unJACKheads. I've given my 2p, now it's up to the admins to decide. At least Matt and Khz should be able to create the new sub-forums if they are deemed useful and worthy enough.
Last edited by danboid on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

No sufficient rights here. And at the moment no useful additions to the discussion, my head is elsewhere at the moment, will provide input shortly.