to help Windows users migrating to Linux

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

merlyn
Established Member

Re: to help Windows users migrating to Linux

Post by merlyn »

How's this?

Welcome to Linux music!
  • The first rule of Linux music is ... Linux is not Windows.
  • The second rule of Linux music is ... Linux is not macOS.
  • The third rule of Linux music is ... Linux is not Windows or macOS.
Scenario One
  • You are new to Linux and music production.
You have two things to learn. Assuming that in the twenty first century everyone has used a computer of some sort, learning Linux may be a case of unlearning some of the ways you previously used a computer.

Try AVLinux from a USB stick to get a feel for Linux music.

Scenario Two
  • You are new to music production but know Linux.
This is probably the easiest route. The principles of music production are independent of OS and specific software.

Scenario Three
  • You are new to Linux but know music production.
In this scenario AVLinux is a good way to see what music production tools are available for Linux.

Scenario Four
  • You are new to Linux but are an experienced music producer with some money sunk into proprietary software.
Reaper, Bitwig, Tracktion Waveform, Renoise and Mixbus work on Linux, other than that your proprietary DAW won't work. Your plugins may or may not work with WINE and yabridge but in the long term it is wise to aim to transition to native Linux plugins.

Scenario Five
  • You are new to Linux and have a considerable amount of money invested in proprietary software.
If you depend on Windows or macOS software and specific plugins are crucial then you are probably better staying on Windows or macOS.
Last edited by merlyn on Tue May 10, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

To daw list, add Tracktion Waveform and Renoise.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:39 am
funkmuscle wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:35 pm all you need is an update from wine and things get broken.
Whatever OS and software is chosen, the user must control the update urge, and define a bottom line of functionality, and must not cross that line to update anything that effects the system, be it wine, a lib, a windowmanager, an audio interface etc.

It's the same on any OS. Worse on most.
This is actually one of the things I really enjoy about NixOS: it is relatively easy to roll back to a different version of everything, and figure out where things stopped working. Now NixOS is currently definitely targeting software engineers and system administrators, I wouldn't recommend it to a typical musician (yet?) - but there is light at the end of the tunnel! :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

raboof wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:18 pm
glowrak guy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:39 am
funkmuscle wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:35 pm all you need is an update from wine and things get broken.
Whatever OS and software is chosen, the user must control the update urge, and define a bottom line of functionality, and must not cross that line to update anything that effects the system, be it wine, a lib, a windowmanager, an audio interface etc.

It's the same on any OS. Worse on most.
This is actually one of the things I really enjoy about NixOS: it is relatively easy to roll back to a different version of everything, and figure out where things stopped working. Now NixOS is currently definitely targeting software engineers and system administrators, I wouldn't recommend it to a typical musician (yet?) - but there is light at the end of the tunnel! :D
Storm OS, an Arch based distro maybe a good way to go because I just watched the video on YouTube on it and it's geared to words folks migrating from Windows and Mac to this which in my personal opinion as it appears to me the best platform out of them all. Linux in general I mean.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

merlyn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:04 pm How's this?

Welcome to Linux music!
Scenario One
You have two things to learn. Assuming that in the twenty first century everyone has used a computer of some sort, learning Linux may be a case of unlearning some of the ways you previously used a computer.

Scenario Two
This is probably the easiest route. The principles of music production are independent of OS and specific software.

Scenario Three
In this scenario AVLinux is a good way to see what music production tools are available for Linux.

Scenario Four
  • You are new to Linux but are an experienced music producer with some money sunk into proprietary software.
Reaper, Bitwig, Tracktion Waveform, Renoise and Mixbus work on Linux, other than that your proprietary DAW won't work. Your plugins may or may not work with WINE and yabridge but in the long term it is wise to aim to transition to native Linux plugins.

Scenario Five
  • You are new to Linux and have a considerable amount of money invested in proprietary software.
If you depend on Windows or macOS software and specific plugins are crucial then you are probably better staying on Windows or macOS.
This is amazing dude! Really love it! One thing you forgot the heart and soul of Linux, Ardour. Maybe mention the other ones too like Qyractor and Rosegarden. Muse and LMMS. I don't know if it's too much work or anything but maybe show their equivalent to Windows and Mac apps..

Awesome stuff!!
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Thanks. Sure, I can expand it and I'll do that.

There are more possible scenarios of course. Like :

Scenario Six
  • You are five grand into Universal Audio hardware
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

:D
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

UA makes nice analog hardware. Their interfaces are fine if you insist on running windows and are tired of being unable to generate a low latency monitor mix.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

merlyn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:04 pm How's this?

Welcome to Linux music!
Scenario One

Scenario Two

Scenario Three

Scenario Four

Scenario Five
That pretty much sums it up and does not need an update every month.

I'd like to add the following tho:
  • The forth rule of Linux music is ... Linux is easy to learn, Music on Linux is incomprehensible. ;)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 am I'd like to add the following tho:
  • The forth rule of Linux music is ... Linux is easy to learn, Music on Linux is incomprehensible. ;)
This feels like marketing bullshit, and I don't think thats good idea.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

tavasti wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:33 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 am I'd like to add the following tho:
This feels like marketing bullshit, and I don't think thats good idea.
:mrgreen: