Youtube Plugin?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

vud1
Established Member

Youtube Plugin?

Post by vud1 »

Hi I am new in this forum and I have missed being able to embed videos in messages.

I think it facilitates usability to be able to see the multimedia content embedded in the posts instead of having to use an external link.

Thanks!

:)
raboof
Established Member

Re: Youtube Plugin?

Post by raboof »

vud1 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:56 am Hi I am new in this forum and I have missed being able to embed videos in messages.

I think it facilitates usability to be able to see the multimedia content embedded in the posts instead of having to use an external link.
That makes a lot of sense! I wouldn't want to allow YouTube to be able to track users of this forum unless they explicitly agree to that. That can be achieved with a bit of javascript that shows a 'there is a youtube video here' placeholder by default, and allows you to either open the URL yourself or enable loading the inline previews going forward.

Do you know of any phpBB plugin that does it like that?
vud1
Established Member

Post by vud1 »

I dont know any plugin that allows that.

But.. If you don't want Youtube to trace you, you may probably be interested in use the private mode of your browser (with disabled cockies option).
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

vud1 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:40 am If you don't want Youtube to trace you, you may probably be interested in use the private mode of your browser (with disabled cockies option).
Sure, but I also don't want to help Youtube trace others (unless they agree to it)
albert90
Established Member

Post by albert90 »

When you post a link to YouTube or Vimeo video in the forum and it is not visible, then YouTube or Vimeo video itself can be blocked in your country. And if it's blocked, no one will see embedded video unless he will use a proxy server.

Here are steps to embed a YouTube and Vimeo videos in your forum messages (use them with your forum software):

1) Open the page with YouTube or Vimeo video that you want to embed in a forum post.

2) Press Ctrl and C keys on your keyboard at the same time.

3) Press Ctrl and V keys on your keyboard at the same time.

4) Copy the code from the clipboard.

5) Go to your forum message - click
button.

6) Press Ctrl+V keys on your keyboard at the same time - this should paste into your message the code of YouTube or Vimeo video that you copied in step 4. You now have a YouTube or Vimeo video in a forum post!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

albert90 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:00 am When you post a link to YouTube or Vimeo video in the forum and it is not visible, then YouTube or Vimeo video itself can be blocked in your country. And if it's blocked, no one will see embedded video unless he will use a proxy server.

Here are steps to embed a YouTube and Vimeo videos in your forum messages (use them with your forum software):

1) Open the page with YouTube or Vimeo video that you want to embed in a forum post.

2) Press Ctrl and C keys on your keyboard at the same time.

3) Press Ctrl and V keys on your keyboard at the same time.

4) Copy the code from the clipboard.

5) Go to your forum message - click
button.

6) Press Ctrl+V keys on your keyboard at the same time - this should paste into your message the code of YouTube or Vimeo video that you copied in step 4. You now have a YouTube or Vimeo video in a forum post!
That's incorrect and won't embed video. I don't know what you mean by "post a link to YouTube or Vimeo video in the forum and it is not visible"? You just need to copy the YT URL and paste it in a reply but it will still only be a link. Posting it inside QUOTE tags will merely give a link inside a quote box like this:
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

The AI strikes back! :lol:

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

LAM wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 am The AI strikes back! :lol:
Haha! Did you click my "example" link? :mrgreen: