Playback-only sequencer for live performance

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

manic_b
Established Member

Playback-only sequencer for live performance

Post by manic_b »

Hi all,

I have a MIDI-controlled guitar/synth rig which I use for live industrial/progressive rock music. I'm using a MIDI track to provide a click (which is on one channel of my Waldorf Blofeld synth) and change my synth/guitar/vocal settings at various points in songs. At the moment this is being played by a netbook running Linux Mint LXDE, via a Novation XStation which forms the heart of the rig (as an audio/midi interface). However, I view this as a temporary prototype and plan to move to a Raspberry Pi. Clearly efficient performance is key, but this is not a very strenuous job as there is no real-time signal processing occurring.

The tracks are started by mididings, which is a python library. It waits for an incoming program change from my midi controller, and starts the appropriate track. So far, so good. However, at the moment I am using pmidi, which does not send midi clock messages. As I come up with increasingly intricate synth and guitar effects, the lack of clock sync is becoming a real source of frustration. Are there any simple command-line midi file players that correctly handle midi clock with tempo and time signature changes? I'd prefer not to start X if possible, and I need to be able to set everything up with a shell script.

Any help is much appreciated! I'm new here but may stick around a little :-)
varpa
Established Member

Re: Playback-only sequencer for live performance

Post by varpa »

There is jack-smf-utils: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jack-smf-utils/ However, I do not know if it sends midi clock messages.
manic_b
Established Member

Post by manic_b »

Doesn't look promising; I can get it to send the click, so it's definitely connected, but my synths are happily running at their own speeds. They do respond to a clock from Logic. QJackCtl shows the time in HHMMSS but the bar/beat section is left blank, so I don't think it's aware of beats.

Seems like a handy program though, I'll keep it in mind!
manic_b
Established Member

Post by manic_b »

I've looked at the source code for pmidi, and it looks like adding clock is going to be WAAAY beyond my current abilities. Can anybody recommend a "heavier" midi sequencer which can still be controlled entirely by calling it with the right input arguments? I'm at my wits' end here, I can't believe it's so difficult to come by MIDI clock :(
manic_b
Established Member

Post by manic_b »

Looks promising, I'll have a play. It looks like it doesn't run tempo changes though, and would have to be slaved to something else :-(
Maybe I can run it with Klick?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

It uses Jack Transport. Klick can use Jack Transport too, but not sure how to handle the tempo changes. You need something which can run as Jack Transport Master and handle the tempo changes ... Klick, non-daw, ardour, ..?
Klick can handle OSC
mididings also
Ardour also ...

Hmm and what about puredata or supercollider?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hi manic_b!

Did you ever find a Linux MIDI player that supports MIDI clock and/or lets you specify a tempo to override the existing one in the file?
manic_b
Established Member

Post by manic_b »

Nope :( Ended up using pmidi and having to work really hard to keep my arpeggiators in sync manually.