Seq24 import AddictiveDrums midi files?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stratotak
Established Member

Seq24 import AddictiveDrums midi files?

Post by stratotak »

Im try to get Seq24 to import AddictiveDrums midi loops.But it wont.It doesntnt give a error message or anything.I can import other midi files into Seq24.You can drag and drop them in windows in any other program likde Sonar,Cubase,etc...There nothing but midi files mapped to Addictivedrums.
I dont want to use Rosegarden or Muse..I just want a simple lite midi seqencer that I can use to create drum tracks with Addictive Drums midi file libarary and then feed it to AddictiveDrums.Seq24 would be perfect for that.Its lite and fast.I compiled the lastest version.so i dont know if this a bug or something..Anyone else use Seq24 and are able to import them??
thorgal
Established Member

Re: Seq24 import AddictiveDrums midi files?

Post by thorgal »

hi stratotak , it's not a bug, it's a file system action. Remember that AD runs in windows (wine), not linux. Seq24 is a native linux app which does not understand the drag-n-drop that AD triggers from your mouse action. It sucks a bit but there's a way to go around that.

In my setup, I have the user directory created by AD in my home directory (because wine configured my home directory as my windows home dir). Under the user AD directory, there\s a sub dir called Settings. There, you should see a MIDI file called ADDrop.mid.

You can drag and drop from AD to this Settings directory. The ADDrop.mid is overwritten by the action. From there, I guess you can drag and drop from this linux dir to seq24 (?).

Since I create my own beats from scratch, I cannot help you more, I never used this feature.

EDIT: just tried it. Looks like seq24 takes MIDI format 1, while AD mid files are format 0. You can find converters out there, but the whole process is becoming clumsy:
1- drag and drop AD beat from AD to AD directory called Settings
2- convert ADDrop.mid from format 0 to format 1
3- import mid file in seq24.

By the way, seq24 is kinda neat, never used it before :)
But my eyes would grow tired from looking at all this small black and white dots and bars in the edit windows!! But the use is really cool and intuitive!
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

Ill look into the midi format converters.I can live with out drag@drop.If I can import them..that will work to..I can just import the loops that I like and then use arranger to lay them out for a song..
Yeah..
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

yeah, that's the main point: it is possible :)
The converter I tried is a windoze app called MIDI0TO1.EXE. I don't know if there's a linux native one. The other thing is the whole deal about these formats: WTF ?? Rosegarden uses both transparently, I had no clue about it before I tried seq24 yesterday evening. I think seq24 should have an internal conversion process when importing format 0 mid files. The user should not have to know about that crap.
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

I have to find a decent midi converter..I tried one that I got off Casio site but couldnt get it to do a batch convert.Im not going to spend the rest of the week converting 1 midi file at a time..lol..I just posted question on there site asking about it.why i doesnt support it and if it will be added in next release..
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

picked this up from another website:
MIDI File Formats
MIDI files come in 3 variations:

Format 0
...which contain a single track

Format 1
... which contain one or more simultaneous tracks
(i.e all tracks are to be played simultaneously).

Format 2
...which contain one or more independent tracks
(i.e each track is to be played independently of the others).

Format 0 MIDI Files
Format 0 MIDI files consist of a header-chunk and a single track-chunk.

The single track chunk will contain all the note and tempo information.

Format 1 MIDI Files
Format 1 MIDI files consist of a header-chunk and one or more track-chunks, with all tracks being played simultaneously.

The first track of a Format 1 file is special, and is also known as the 'Tempo Map'. It should contain all meta-events of the types Time Signature, and Set Tempo. The meta-events Sequence/Track Name, Sequence Number, Marker, and SMTPE Offset. should also be on the first track of a Format 1 file.

Format 2 MIDI Files
Format 2 MIDI files consist of a header-chunk and one or more track-chunks, where each track represents an independent sequence.
and some more here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_d ... and_midi_1
dude

Post by dude »

I copy here in a posting regarding converters:

Midi converters
This package appears to be the best of the Windows MIDI file converters that I found:
http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/so ... converter/

This is the a GPL MIDI library which is documented as providing MIDI 1 to 0 conversion unfortunately the one test i performed did not create a file that the Brain software would recognise as MIDI 0.
Search within the page for MIDI
http://www.bluedust.dontexist.com/projects/
The program is written without dependencies so is portable and compiles on Linux. This page is another link and provides basic information.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/midilib/

I found some other converters on Windows but they were Shareware and seemed relatively expensive also several of them looked like the same program with a different name so I have avoided them after trying them.
This is a link to one of them: http://midconverter.com/

I hope this saves someone several hours of searching for MIDI file converters.
If anyone knows of a better preferably free/GPL midi converter that is still available (I could not locate the one mentioned by the CME site but it is listed below) then please post a link for me?

Other converters i have not yet had a chance to try are:
http://www.gnmidi.com/gnmidfmten.htm
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... 1to0.shtml

Hope this helps someone who like me found this page before they find the most useful of the converters listed here.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@dude, maybe you can post it in the howto section?

BTW can seq24 save midi files?
ah ok
File Management

Saving your work in seq24 is as uncomplicated as the rest of the program. Select File/Save As, give your work any name you like, with or without any extension (MID is best), click OK and that's it. From that point on, you simply can use File/Save. Reloading your work is equally simple.

seq24's native file format is the Format 1 standard MIDI file format. seq24 also can load a MIDI file and break its individual tracks into sequence containers. This feature is another neat musical extension to seq24's utility, offering new possibilities for material from other sequencing environments.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8304
mickski56

Post by mickski56 »

Just found this post. Reply a little late I Know.
Get yourself MIDI-Perl-0.82 from cpan or your distributions repository, install.
Then use something like the following.....

#!/usr/bin/perl -W
use File::Basename;
use MIDI;
if ($#ARGV < 0) {
print "\n"."enter the file to workwith"."\n";
exit;
} else {
$format = 1;
$opus = MIDI::Opus->new({'from_file' => $ARGV[0], 'no_parse' => 1} );
$opus->format( $format );
$fname = $ARGV[0];
$oname = dirname($fname)."/021_".basename($fname);
$opus->write_to_file($oname );
}

I may post a more refined version later :-)
mickski56

Post by mickski56 »

The above doesn't really work very well, but this does.

#!/usr/bin/perl -W
use MIDI;
$format = 1;
$opus = MIDI::Opus->new({'from_file' => $ARGV[0]} );
$track = ( $opus->tracks )[-1]; # last track
@events = $track->events;
foreach $ref (@events){
$e2ref = $ref;
@e2ref = @$e2ref;
if ($e2ref[0] =~ m/time_signature/){
$numerator = $e2ref[2];
$denominator = $e2ref[3];
$denominator = 2**$denominator;
} else {
push (@eventsNEW,$ref);
}
}
my $array_ref = ['sequencer_specific',0, pack("CCCCCC",36,36,0,6,$numerator,$denominator) ];
unshift (@eventsNEW,$array_ref);
$opus->format( $format );
$track->events( @eventsNEW );
$opus->tracks(@track);
$fname = $ARGV[0];
$oname = dirname($fname)."/021_".basename($fname);
$opus->write_to_file($oname);
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

I originally posted this back in 2009. Bumped twice.Once in 2011 and just the other day.Hardly even use Linux much until recently again. Hit up this site again and I notice my 4 year old post is at top..lol..
JUst for info I dont mess around with converting midi or any of that.I have Reaper installed and use it wine asio with wine rt patch.I just use reaper as a host for Addictive drums and output the drum tracks to Mixbus/Ardour and record.Works very well.
gazpacho
Established Member

Post by gazpacho »

To convert a format 0 file of addictive drums usable for seq24 I use smfsh which does it instantly. So to change format 0 to format 1 it goes:

Code: Select all

smfsh drums.mid 
File 'drums.mid' loaded.
format: 0 (single track); number of tracks: 1; division: 480 PPQN.
Track number 1 selected; it contains 27 events.
smfsh> format
Format is 0.
smfsh> format 1
Forma changed to 1.
smfsh> format
Format is 1.
smfsh> quit
Good bye.
Problem is this files have the drums in channel 1 , not channel 10 as it should to play them in a midi player, so use qmidiroute between midi player and synth to change channel when playing.
As I put in another post, midifile ruby is a great tool with which I made a bash batch script to both change many files to format 1 and solo channel (1) to channel 10. Once this is done, one can pre-hear them in any midi player and import to seq24. Favorite to browse and hear many drum midis is a midi player with a playlist where you can load many to choose from, of which best are kmid , vlc with fluidsynth plugin (remember to set the chosen soundfont), the venerable timidity, or audacious with the "AMIDI plug" complement (has a choice of fluidsynth or alsa midi). Another posibility is to batch convert the midi files to ogg or mp3 alongside the originals to have a sample of each, and use audacious to pre-hear them.