Hydrogen room mic simulating??

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stratotak
Established Member

Hydrogen room mic simulating??

Post by stratotak »

How are you guys using Hydrogen??Are most of you just recording the Master outs of Hydrogen..I found that you could get it to sound pretty damn good If you faked a room mic channel.Like In other drum programs.AddictiveDrums,EzDrummer..etc..It dosent sound as good as a having a true room mic channel but it sounds pretty good..better than with out one.I would choose a good realistic kit or use one I made from samples from Drum Kit from Hell..Pan all the drums in Hydrogen left and get a good level on each instrument.I tried to imagine standing 10 feet away from a drum kit and set levels .Example..A snare hit is louder than a hi hat hit If stuck with equal velocity.Then in ardour create 5 mono tracks .Kick,snare,HiHat,toms,overheads and a stereo track to be the room mic channel.Route Hydrogen tracks to ardour.then on stereo track route Hydrogens master outs to it.I have ardour compiled with vst support.I load Sir onto the stereo track.Find a nice reverb impulse I like.Set the dry all the way down and wet all the way up so nothing but wet is coming out of sir..Then use Ardour to mix,pan, and adjust room mic blend level.Maybe with a better impulse program you can get better results.I used Sir because it was free.I used some impulses I got from
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... f%26sa%3DX
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Hydrogen room mic simulating??

Post by funkmuscle »

stratotak, thanx... I will give that a go later... I too was using vst plugins for the IR files for reverb and amp/cabs IR files.
The vst plugins have the control to go dry/wet and you hear the difference without volume loss.

I use jconv for linux and I found out how to configure the files for wet/dry but the wet sound of an IR files through jconv sounds off compare to the vsts. Maybe the instruction for configuring the files were wrong... Mind you, I get great guitar tones with jconv but the same IR file sounds better through the vst.

I just gave the Addictive Drums demo a try and I like it... I see what you mean. What about just running the Hydrogen stereo out through a mic room reverb setting then to Ardour?
I had Ardour built with vst support but I find it not stable. How is it for you?
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

I didnt try it that way..I also tried it by.recording a Hydrogen drum track using the master outs..then copying the track into new track..and then applying sir to the copy..but it didnt sound as good as having seperate kick,snare,etc..having seperate drums tracks and a room mic to blend into mix is like the way they record real drums.Being able to blend the room mic lets you go from just a subtle bit of room to a old Led Zeppelin drum sound..I think you can get pretty good results if you use a good realistic mulitvelocity kit..
Vst isnt perfect..some plugins lockup ardour..but some work perfect.Just have try them out and see what works and get rid of ones that dont..I have Studio Devil..and it doesnt work for me in Ardour..what were you using as far as vst?Dssi-vst or fst??I found using dssi-vst was more buggy then fst..I didnt compile fst until maybe 2 weeks ago..I was using dssi-vst..But compiling fst gave be better vst gui support..With dssi.If i used gui version of plugins..it would crash ardour..but since compiling fst I have usable vst gui..It aint perfect..but for plugins that linux doesnt have decent ones of its worth trying some till you find some that work..I use StudioDevil and Boogex for cab impulses and pipe it into Ardour..works great.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I use Boogex to compare with jconv and Boogex fully wet sounds different to jconv fully wet according to the configuration examples I was given....
I will still experiment with it as jconv is better on latency than the vst plugins...
Checkout guitarix from brummer. He's a regular here.

oh yeah, the multivelocity kit is the way to go....
I will try your way... I got a feeling it with sound really cool.
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

Havent tried that one..I have tried rackarack...It was good for fx.I think it uses same fx that are used in zynaaddsubfx..The effects were ok..It could do a clean sound alright,,but It didnt sound very good trying to get a heavy gain sound.It sounded like my old Zoom 505..the very first one they made..the black one. I havent found anything in Linux that even comes close to some of the free vst amp modelers..,Aradaz,the
SimulAnalog amps..Nick crows free stuff Wagnersharp and simple guitar combo,DirtHead,Juicy77..there are a fair amount of free amp sims that sound pretty decent when feed through a good cab impulse...but nothing for linux..
we need some free stuff like this..lol..
http://www.auraplug.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=18
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Linux musicians are mostly keyboardist by the amount of synths we have and the lack of guitar apps.
I emailed Aradaz and buddy at BTE Juicy77 and they both said they apps are free but closed source and they don't have time to port to linux right now.
Guitarix is pretty good and you can load IR files.....
I found out how t make jconv wet... You have to set the delay to 500 and the offset to 1400.

http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/

dude, forgot to ask the question, why pan all drums to the left?
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

Well you dont have to..you can leave it centered and connect left and right of each track ..but i just did it so I only had to use one for each instrument
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

ok.. The 2 kits I use are built from the old ns7 and the GSCW samples. All multi-layered. I never had to pan the samples in hydrogen as these samples we recorded panned already. So on hydrogen, I keep the panning centred and and leave the samples the way they were created.

I may have time to try your way of recording in the next few days... I'll let you know.

And if you're not familiar with this site
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32

check it out... Lots of great guitar IR files...
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

Just a note: Juicy77 performs great with dssi-vst, haven't tried it with fst.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

you're right, it works great with dssi-vst... the new fst might work better now...
I just use either guitarix or my Peavey Rage preamp out and drive the IR files now....
Great tone that way...
I use the IR files from
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32
studio32

Post by studio32 »

[offtopic]@Funcmuscle, maybe its nice to hear some guitar sound samples (in another thread) from you. You seems to be pretty experienced with it now, which is great! :) [/offtopic]
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

cool, I'll put together something with guitarix and my peavey both using jconv...
excuse the sloppy playing..
Give me w few days when I'll have time.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

funkmuscle wrote:cool, I'll put together something with guitarix and my peavey both using jconv...
excuse the sloppy playing..
Give me w few days when I'll have time.
cool indeed! We'll wait for it :)
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

I tried some of the free guitar modeling vst's I mentioned.Maybe I should have tested them before mentioning them..lol..Basically ones without a gui..like Nick Crows and the SimulAnalog amps and stomp fx dont work..fst says it cant load because they dont have a editor..and dssi would'nt work either..but all the ones that I mentioned that have gui's work.
Oh also thought Id say..Sir works in Ardour as a plugin 9 out of 10 times..It will lock up Ardour that 1 time..so its not 100% perfect..So If i were to use Sir as a plugin on some drum track I spent a hour setting up..Id probably save before trying to use it..Or spend the 2 minutes or so to route it as a external fx using vsthost..
And if you the money to by it..the best amp modeler out there is the axe-fx ultra..
http://www.fractalaudio.com/
But even the base version,not the ultra,is $1,800..it out of my price range..
stratotak
Established Member

Post by stratotak »

I uploaded a little test of Hydrogen playing Vinatage demo and recorded it in ardour.Both tracks have a bit of compressor on kick and little bit of reverb on snare.One track is with no room impulse other has room impulse.I mixed room impulse down low so its subtle.After uploading it and listening to it I think I should have mixed in a bit more. ..mainly can hear it on snare and rides...On room.mp3 I used a impulse from a Lexicon PCM91..Im pretty sure someone else could get better results then me..I didnt spend much time on it.I just routed kick and snare and hihat..and just sent all toms to one tom track and all cymbals to one track..
this is link to it..
http://strat.dmusic.com/