Rosegarden Problem: no sound

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jaime
Established Member

Rosegarden Problem: no sound

Post by jaime »

Hi. I'm totally new and I can't get any sound from Rosegarden. :?

I've downloaded and started JACK before opening Rosegarden but still not getting any sound. So could u guys tell me what to do, please? :D
Yeri
Established Member

Re: Rosegarden Problem: no sound

Post by Yeri »

Hi,.. I am not an expert in rosegarden.. anyway I am going to suppose that you have a midi track and you push play and dont hear any sound.
If that's the case, then you must connect the rosegarden midi output to a synthethiser (e.g. zynaddsubfx) via jackd.. and the synthethiser to the card output.
The rosegarden outputs are midi information (notes, volumes and other things).. then you must place a synthesizer between rosegarden and the speakers in order to give that midi information an audible form.
Here I haven't available neither zynaddsubfx nor rosegarden but if I'm not mistaken you can specify a certain midi channel somewhere in the rosegarden settings where you want the midi information to be sent to.
On the other hand you can specify also the midi channel where zynaddsubfx is getting the data from (also you can select an instrument from a bank if you dont want to hear the default piano.. you can do it pressing a button called 'panel' in the advanced gui of zynaddsubfx.. I think). Therefore you should send each track corresponding to a different instrument to separate channels in rosegarden and then configure an instrument for each channel in zynaddsubfx.
Good luck!

Gerard.
jaime
Established Member

Post by jaime »

Hi. Thanx for your post. I went ahead to download that zynaddsubfx and tried to connect something on JACK but still not getting any sound LOL :D maybe I don't really get how it works but I'll keep trying
But would u recommend any otherr sequencers other than Rosegarden, especially for a newbie? :o
brummer

Post by brummer »

tried to connect something on JACK but still not getting any sound LOL :D maybe I don't really get how it works but I'll keep trying
yea, you need to connect the rosgarden output port in rosegarden himself.
There is a tool button with a piano part and a green soundcard part mixed, there you find the posible output ports, connect the general midi device with the synth you will use, (fluidsynth, Wave Table, timidity,zynaddsubfx, . . . )

You could also connect every single track with a synthy, when you use the (on german) "SPURPARAMETER " (the second part on the right side). There you can find the synth plugins under "synth plugin" :lol:

have fun
brummer
jaime
Established Member

Post by jaime »

Thank you so much guys. I've managed to connect and get sound from Rosegarden. However, I now have another problem :o

I connect the program with ZynAddSubFX and when I play it, I got a weird resonance kind of synth sound :? What's wrong now?
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

It might be a problem of too much processes competing for the resources with zynaddsubfx.. have you set up the priorities properly ?

Mine are:

Code: Select all

yeri@procrustes:~$ ps xHo pid,rtprio,class,user,group,comm |grep jack
 3603      - TS  yeri     yeri     qjackctl
 3603      - TS  yeri     yeri     qjackctl
 3603     69 FF  yeri     yeri     qjackctl
 3608      - TS  yeri     yeri     jackd
 3608     80 FF  yeri     yeri     jackd
 3608     70 FF  yeri     yeri     jackd

Code: Select all

yeri@procrustes:~$ ps xHo pid,rtprio,class,user,group,comm |grep zynadd
 3618      - TS  yeri     yeri     zynaddsubfx
 3618     69 FF  yeri     yeri     zynaddsubfx
jack is started with -P 70.. automatically jack aware apps are started with 69
Make sure also that the sound card IRQ is higher. check this.. http://tapas.affenbande.org/wordpress/?page_id=40

Good luck :)

Gerard
jaime
Established Member

Post by jaime »

Dear Yeri, I think you're right but how to set the priorities?
jaime
Established Member

Post by jaime »

Hi again. I think I've fixed it! I changed period/buffer from 2 to 3 in JACK setup and I don't get any resonance sounds anymore. Now how can I export my work in Rosegarden to audio files? (like mp3 or something like that) :D
jaime
Established Member

Post by jaime »

also, synthpiano sound of zynaddsubfx is so not good :cry: Could u recommend any soundbank that has good grand piano sound, please? :D
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Hi jaime.. good to know you are solving the issues :)
jaime wrote:Dear Yeri, I think you're right but how to set the priorities?
Starting jackd with a certain (high) priority should be enough. Anyway, find further details here http://tapas.affenbande.org/wordpress/?page_id=40
jaime wrote:Now how can I export my work in Rosegarden to audio files? (like mp3 or something like that) :D
Although I'm quite new on this I'm afraid that you cannot do that directly on rosegarden. Instead I would configure each rosegarden track with the instrument I want and send it (through jack) to an audio recorder such as qtractor and record the rosegarden output.. but maybe there are other ways to do that..
jaime wrote:also, synthpiano sound of zynaddsubfx is so not good :cry: Could u recommend any soundbank that has good grand piano sound, please? :D
I'm afraid I cannot help you here.. I've just started experimenting with that :?

Good luck,

Gerard.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

jaime wrote:also, synthpiano sound of zynaddsubfx is so not good :cry: Could u recommend any soundbank that has good grand piano sound, please? :D
Perhaps some of the links on http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... audio_data may be of help?
Morticia

Post by Morticia »

Hi jaime,
I have been working with Rosegarden for a while now. It is a very steep learning curve, as it is not as intuitive as a lot of sequencers.
What works for me is this:
  • Set Rosegarden audio preferences not to start jackd automatically.
    Start jackd (I use qjackctl for this)
    Start qsynth (a front end for fluidsynth, you will need fluidsynth installed too) You can configure qsynth to use whichever soundfonts you prefer - these are quite good: http://www.personalcopy.com/linuxfiles.htm
    Now launch Rosegarden and configure it to use the qsynth inputs - Studio -> Manage MIDI Devices
Be aware that there is a nasty bug in Rosegarden versions 1.7.0 -> 1.7.2 which makes it crash if you try to record more than a couple of tracks. This has been fixed in version 1.7.3

I hope this helps 8)
Hugs and things,
Stephanie

"Nothing's ever yours to keep,
Close your eyes, go to sleep"