[solved] Film scoring!?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TheSafePlaces
Established Member

[solved] Film scoring!?

Post by TheSafePlaces »

Please help. How would I go about film scoring on the Linux platform? What DAW would be the go-to?

I ask this because I see no video import options in QTractor (what I've used for audio so far) OOM, or Ardour, no mention of video in any DAW's online or offline documentation, and no relevant results when I search for 'film scoring linux'. I'm still a newbie to digital music, so I may have my fundamentals wrong and maybe things don't work the way I think - if so, please point me the way. Thank you!
Last edited by TheSafePlaces on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.
raboof
Established Member

Re: Film scoring!?

Post by raboof »

I don't have any actual experience in this area, but I guess I can share some thoughts.

I think it depends on your workflow whether you actually need/want to sync the video to your score while writing the music. I *think* it would be more common to first write the music more or less independently of the video scenes (of course you do want to watch them to capture the right 'feel', but not syncing them up yet). Then after you've exported your finished tracks they're combined with the video along with other sounds like sound effects, sound recordings, voice-overs etc in software specifically designed for that - I guess cinelerra or so.

This introduces the freedom to make last-minute adjustments (i.e. adding/removing/shortening scenes) more easily, even when the score is basically finished.

If you decide on a workflow where you write your music directly to the finished video recordings, you could make good use of the JACK Transport mechanism here: use a transport-aware video player like xjadeo to display the movie and a transport-aware DAW (like Ardour or QTractor) to manager your sounds. When you seek in your daw, the video will follow, and vice-versa.
TheSafePlaces
Established Member

Re: Film scoring!?

Post by TheSafePlaces »

Thank you for your input!That cleared much up.
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.