Experimenting With Hydrogen

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DavidScott
Established Member

Experimenting With Hydrogen

Post by DavidScott »

I have been working with Hydrogen today, attempting to duplicate the types of patterns that I was able to create with my old Windows studio loaded with various VST's.

One of the effects that I used to use was called DBGlitch, which was used to create various reverse, stuttering, and delay effects in sequence. Frankly, I am tired of the whole "glitch-tronica" sound, but it would be nice to use those tricks once in a while to add a little excitement to certain parts.

Are there any tools out there that can create similar effects that can be used in Hydrogen? Learning how to use it was a breeze, and now I'm at the point where I want to push the envelope further and start creating some really unique rhythmic patterns with it.
slowpick
Established Member

Re: Experimenting With Hydrogen

Post by slowpick »

1. start a beat going, go to hydrogen mixer lower right corner, click the fx button
2. on the panel that opens, click the edit button, just under the blue bar
3. the Ladspa Properties panel opens, click the select fx button
4. select from the alphabetized list a-z (caps and tap are large groups, so c and t are good for variety)
5. There is a volume/amount knob for each of the four fx, just below the big Pan knob in the mixer.
Thus each drum in the kit can have any mix and pan of the 4 possible fx

multiple kicks with different delay and pan, could dish out some creative thumpin

If you install wine, wineasio, and festige, (festige being a gui for windows vsts)
you can use glitch, start festige, choose glitch, then in qjackctl, connect hydrogen output to Glitch input.

Use the festige menu edit/preferences/select path and choose the folder you make to hold vsts.
(about 60-70 % of no-dongle vsts will work.)
and turn on transport and midi on the glitch gui just like when jamming on the dark side.

The output of glitch and hydrogen can still both visit other destinations,
if the forest isn't yet gump enough :shock: :wink:

Falk has PPAs you can add to synaptic, for wine/wineasio,
there is a howto link on the PPA page to make that easy.

https://launchpad.net/~falk-t-j/+archive/festige

The swing and humanize in hydrogen are also quite nice to have.