a2jmidid, ardour and supercollider

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

simon

a2jmidid, ardour and supercollider

Post by simon »

Hi,

I'm writing synthesised music with supercollider and ardour 3 beta. I have the following problem:

I would like to use a2jmidid to expose supercollider to jack midi ports. This works fine. However, once the incoming midi messages get to supercollider they all have same source number assigned to them (presumably as they are coming through the single instance of a2jmidid). This is a problem as I can't differentiate between different midi sources coming from ardour.

I have also tried using multiple instances of j2amidi_bridge with some success but I've found it a little unpredictable (midi bridges crashing or simply not functioning). Another option is to use a2jmidid and multiple input ports for supercollider. However, it seems to me this is not really the way SC midi is meant to work.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated :)

Best,
Simon
Pablo
Established Member

Re: a2jmidid, ardour and supercollider

Post by Pablo »

Have you tried a2j_control? It seems more flexible. Disclaimer: I don't use it.
varpa
Established Member

Re: a2jmidid, ardour and supercollider

Post by varpa »

I have not used supercollider so I can only reply in general to your problem. I think aj2midid will expose all alsa midi ports to Jack midi. From what you describe, supercollider only has 1 alsa midi port and you route (multiple?) ardour midi ports to the same supercollider alsa midi port. Are you using QJackCtl? does supercollider have only 1 port? So, maybe you need to configure supercollider to define mulitple alsa midi ports if you want to route different Ardour midi streams to different midi inputs in supercollider. However, I do not know anything about supercollider so I do not know what is possible.