how to record with audacity using jack?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

how to record with audacity using jack?

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

How do you guys record anything from for example a mic to audacity? It isn't possible to make jack connections... or do you first hit the record button, then pause and make the connections and then record?

is it so bad?
briwood
Established Member

Re: how to record with audacity using jack?

Post by briwood »

Last I knew Audacity's support for JACK was non-existent - or maybe minimal.

I have had great success recording from "Line In" or "Wav Mix Out". I use Audacity to real-time record internet radio and (shh!) occassionally to record a tune from a music service which I can't locate DRM-free. Key here is to get the levels right by playing with BOTH the record levels and the playback levels.
Buminatrain
Established Member

Post by Buminatrain »

if you are using an interface (as opposed to your internal soundcard) you may need to specify its location to audacity within the preferences... generally the internal card would be Hw:0 and your interface would be Hw:1
studio32

Post by studio32 »

The Vector Linux packager for Audacity came up with a fix for this, which is :
1) start Audacity (with playback=record=alsa default)
2) killall jackd
3) now can record
I think you should do step 2 before 1...
mixtape
Established Member

Post by mixtape »

I think your referring to the fact that Audacity doesn't like to show up as a JACK connection until after it's started recording. It's not a glamorous fix, but I always just leave a few seconds of silence at the beginning of a project (enough time to make the needed connections before the recording begins).
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

mixtape wrote:I think your referring to the fact that Audacity doesn't like to show up as a JACK connection until after it's started recording. It's not a glamorous fix, but I always just leave a few seconds of silence at the beginning of a project (enough time to make the needed connections before the recording begins).
You should be able to use the qjackctl patchbay to make this connection automatically.

http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76 seems like a good guide (though perhaps it might be better if it started with a 'smaller' example first).

LASH is also supposed to be able to help here, but I haven't looked into it much yet.